Scrappy CHAdeMO to CCS adapter for EV Conversions

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
alexbeatle

Scrappy CHAdeMO to CCS adapter for EV Conversions

Post by alexbeatle »

Hello folks.
As I was progressing with my wiring I had an idea, wanted to bounce off your brilliant minds.

While CCS chargers are outnumbering the CHAdeMO, there're still many CHAdeMO ports out there and as the number of CCS vehicles is growing, CHAdeMO plugs are often unoccupied.

I have a CCS charge port installed. I have a pair of big HV contactors in the battery box controlled by the small 15ohm contactors in a junction box, controlled by LIM.
So instead of installing another set of HV contactors and adding a CHAdeMO socket to the vehicle, I'm wondering if I can make a "scrappy" adaptor.
In essence, the HV wires will go from the EVSE CHAdeMO port to the vehicle CCS port, to the battery via big HV contactors (HVPOS and HVNEG). CHAdeMO comm wires will loom into a small 10 pin connector. The 10pin connector will also have a jumper, so that when it's plugged in, a relay (CR1) in the vehicle will switch from powering the big HV contactors in the battery box from the LIM (by default) to from EVSE (+12VDC via CR1.1 and CR1.2, ground via CR1.3 and CR1.4). The rest of the CHAdeMO comms and the control relay feedback (CR1.5) will go to VCU for monitor and control. The VCU will be handling all the comms.
Procedure when charging. Plug in the 10pin connector into the vehicle, plug in the CCS plug from the adaptor into the vehicle socket, plug in CHAdeMO plug from the EVSE to the adaptor CHAdeMo socket.

Curious to know if this has a potential, or I'm missing some dangers associated with this.
Here's my napkin sketch.
IMG_20240226_132654.jpg