Mini main board and V3 comparison.

Beggernator

Mini main board and V3 comparison.

Post by Beggernator »

Hi.
I wanted to start a thread to directly compare some of the differences between the two boards.

Personally I am looking to do a brain swap on a HCH2 IMA inverter.
The V3 board would obviously be the easiest to get up and running. But I like the idea of doing a conversion PCB and the mini main board is looking like the best candidate for that. (But I want to know for sure)

Also I've searched for direct comparisons between the two and not found anything, so hopefully this could help others in future.

Obvious ones are no WiFi module. No direct relay outputs.
Resolver excitation seems unchanged. (Some hints of lower 5v but wiki seems to suggest it's unchanged.)

As for the mini main board relay control. Is it as simple as putting a larger fet on the low side of the relay, controlled from the 3.3v of the board?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Especially from anyone who has integrated a mini main board before.

Cheers
Tom
jrbe

Re: Mini main board and V3 comparison.

Post by jrbe »

Every different board that it needs to function with complicates the design. It gets to be lots of stuff to cross to.

Every extra connector is a potential for a bad or weak connection as well as potentially an antenna for noise.

If I was doing this for myself I would incorporate the main board into the adapter board.

If you do decide to use the mini main board there is a footprint and symbol in the Gen 3 Nissan leaf board in the design on GitHub in my signature.

EDIT and to thank johu for making this all possible, consider sharing your design with him when its done / the bugs are worked out.

Edit 2, the Nissan Gen 3 board is a work in progress. The mini mainland footprint should be good but other circuit references might not be good references yet.
The esp32 was hanging up the STM32 from booting properly. There's also some consideration of leaving the Wi-Fi out of inverter boards.
The brake output / board ID isn't a good reference, it's not working properly yet.
The contactor outputs should be good, just the gate capacitor to adjust / leave out.