Nissan Leaf Gen3 Drop-in board

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
uhi22

Re: Nissan Leaf Gen3 Drop-in board

Post by uhi22 »

Thanks for these deep insights. The split termination indeed reduces the common-mode disturbances, which could be helpful in noisy environments. With the cost, that it needs well-matched resistors to avoid translating the common-mode-noise to differential noise, which would be worse. So yes, it is the safe way for designing the termination. And a safe design is much better than sporadic issues in the field. So I can only say: Thank you for your professional work.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Just tried opening the project and there seem to be some missing files:

Code: Select all

Fehler traten beim Laden der Footprints auf:
Footprintbibliothek "/home/johu/Projekte/e-umbau/kicad/Nissan-Leaf-Gen-3-Adapter-Board/V0.0.4/Footprints" nicht gefunden.
Footprintbibliothek "${KICAD_LIB}/JLCPCB/JLCPCB.pretty" nicht gefunden.
Footprintbibliothek "C:/Users/jeremxxxx/Desktop/Personal Projects/Open Inverter/Nissan Gen3 Inverter/Gen 3 Leaf Adapter" nicht gefunden.
Footprintbibliothek "/home/johu/Projekte/e-umbau/kicad/Nissan-Leaf-Gen-3-Adapter-Board/V0.0.4/Symbols" nicht gefunden.
Footprintbibliothek "/home/johu/Projekte/e-umbau/kicad/Nissan-Leaf-Gen-3-Adapter-Board/V0.0.4/TPS61175.pretty" nicht gefunden.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

Kicad libraries is definitely somewhere that I struggle, sorry for the issue.

I have uploaded the folders & files to github and reorganized the folder structure to mimic what I think the missing files snip is showing. I did add these files in the project, I think Kicad will find them... You may have to add the library locations manually for the errors after you download the new version if Kicad doesn't find them. Please sync or toss that copy and pull from github again.

TPS61175 is an old artifact from the i3 adapter I referenced very early on, I did not find the symbol or footprint anywhere that it is referenced in this current leaf adapter.

Kicad recovery might find them too since they should all be in the project folder now.

Let me know how it goes.
glink

Post by glink »

johu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 pm Finally got to this again.

One of the 5V pins had lifted off the pad thus disabling UDC and TMPHS measurement. All works as before now.

Good one :)

With the STM32 in reset it sits at 0.544V instead of the calculated 0.4V. So then I cut the brake jumper and now in reset it sits at 0.75V. With the main board removed and 5.3V applied I read 0.45V. Strange.

I looked for differences between the Gen2 board where the STM32 always boots ok and the Gen3. I think it's the boot delay cap C13. I removed it, now the STM boots every time. It seems somehow the ESP32 sends the magic 0xAA when starting and with the boot delay this coincides with the boot loader waiting for 0xAA. So the fact that it works on all other boards is more out of luck...

Positive for the SMT part. Don't have the THT one.

The brake output doesn't change. When I activate it I get 2.6V on TP_A1 and 0.7V behind the Zener. So I replaced the Zener with a low value resistor, then the brake output works. Without the Zener the brake light will briefly (200ms) turn on above certain variant codes when booting. Don't think that's too much of an issue.

Seems to be some sort of redundancy. Current readings are the same with or without the jumpers.

Solid GND, it's the GND of the current sensor

Right now I get 3V at room temperature. That's a bit close to the end of the dynamic range indeed. Will test other values. Maybe back to standard OI 1k2.

Will check. What chatter are we talking about though?

Yeah not quite sure if there's a beneficial use for these. On the Gen2 board I just ignore the duplicates.
Finally got around to installing into the inverter (V0.0.3 board) and see here there might be some TMPHS issues. Mine is showing 100 degrees constantly in room temperature without load. Is this something you also were seeing and found a solution to? Maybe the scaling is different, see this for UDC at least. I have found udcofs=40 and udcgain=9.5 to give resonable values. (250 and 6.09 for the gen2)
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

glink wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:18 pm Finally got around to installing into the inverter (V0.0.3 board) and see here there might be some TMPHS issues.
jrbe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:56 am
-R13 is a pull down resistor for the T_SINK input. This is at 3K3 in V0.0.1 but unsure if this is ideal. There are 2 plated thru holes on each side of R13 to use to make testing the ideal value easier.

-The capacitors on each contactor mosfet gate should be checked that they do not delay turn on or off too much and that they help eliminate chatter. If they are too large they could run the mosfets in the linear region and could cause damage.

-a bunch more...
jrbe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:06 pm A list of unresolved items:
R13 was a 3k3 and was swapped to 1k2. Johu tested that the 3k3 was too high but the 1k2 might end up too low.
I left the plated through holes next to R13 to allow swapping in different through hole resistors for testing to try to shift the temp sensor voltage swing into a more usable range. I didn't have any specs of the temp circuitry.

There are a bunch of other things in V0 0.3 that also need to be checked. It's on the first page of this thread, it's pretty long. If you tap the up arrow next to my quote it will bring you to that post.

The link to the unresolved items are things in between V0.0.3 & V0.0.4.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

glink wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:18 pm Is this something you also were seeing and found a solution to?
Quite simply the curve of the temperature sensor was never measured and programmed into the firmware.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
glink

Post by glink »

johu wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 pm Quite simply the curve of the temperature sensor was never measured and programmed into the firmware.
Thanks, both.
JRBE, you were on the right track, but still not low enough. 0K5 brought it down to room temperature with the Gen2 profile, but unsure if it fits the old profile from there. Now to some testing with load...
glink

Post by glink »

glink wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:53 am Thanks, both.
JRBE, you were on the right track, but still not low enough. 0K5 brought it down to room temperature with the Gen2 profile, but unsure if it fits the old profile from there. Now to some testing with load...
Hah, goes opposite direction vs temp so definitely needs new profile in fw and maybe the 1K2 resistor is OK anyway.
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

glink wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:11 am Hah, goes opposite direction vs temp so definitely needs new profile in fw and maybe the 1K2 resistor is OK anyway.
First can I say how appreciative of the amazing work everyone is doing in this thread. I can hardly wait to get my hands on a production example!

Not wanting to clutter the thread, Im running a G3-160KW with zombie + 28kwh pack. the long and the short is that the stock inverter appears to be shutting itself down due to an overtemp condition after 3 to 4 mins of hard running, If i come off the power and pootle along for a min or so I can then go full throttle again for a while - could this be indicative of a FW temp mapping / handling issue like you describe? :idea: