Water Pump Options

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Water Pump Options

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Once again, one of the '09 Prius water pumps on Shocking Chevy has failed. I know there are a lot of pump options out there, of varying degrees of complexity. I'm looking for input on what pumps you've had success with.

Ideally, I'm looking for a pump that I can just feed 12V and let run, ideally which accepts 3/4" hoses. I'm hoping to find something that's relatively common and/or from a recent production car, so that if/when it fails on the road, I can find a replacement. The one benefit of the Prius pump is the ubiquity.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
crasbe

Re: Water Pump Options

Post by crasbe »

A cheap option are the Bosch PCE pumps, which are commonly found in VAG cars and have the part number 04L965567.
They run on 12V and can be controlled with PWM. Without PWM they run at 100% and are quite powerful.

I don't remember what the hose size is, but I can measure when I'm home.
There is no wiki article about it yet, but the pinout is printed on the pump and the connector is known as well.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I like this pump very much: VW P/N 7L0965561D
https://www.kmotorshop.com/en/article-d ... 4-22skv012
It is very convenient as its output has small angle relative to input. This makes it easier to fit into linear space.

But as for reliability is concerned genuine Audi coolant pump is the toughest
The best ones are with purple bottom...
Bosch P/N 7L0965561L
EVSwap

Post by EVSwap »

Nissan LEAF pumps work on 12v only and are really quiet. They have 3/4 fittings. I think they are the same as Tesla pumps, not 100% sure.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Thanks all for the input! I've still got some searching around to see what's going to be the best fit for the car, budget, and availability, but this is a lot of help.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
P.S.Mangelsdorf

To close the loop on this, I pulled a 1K0 965 561 JJ off of a 2013 VW CC in a local junkyard. Looks like it might be a variant of the VW ones suggested here; it has a purple lower body as arber noted.

Got to love locally owned pick-a-part yards, I paid $8 for the pump with pigtail and mount, and it seems to run well. (the corporate yard nearby charges $50 for a water pump, as well as extra for the pigtail, and mounting brackets, and breathing in the vicinity of the yard, and ...)

If it keeps working correctly, I'll eventually replace all the pumps on the car with that type. I'll also report back here if it fails.

SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

arber333 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 pm I like this pump very much: VW P/N 7L0965561D
https://www.kmotorshop.com/en/article-d ... 4-22skv012
It is very convenient as its output has small angle relative to input. This makes it easier to fit into linear space.

But as for reliability is concerned genuine Audi coolant pump is the toughest
The best ones are with purple bottom...
Bosch P/N 7L0965561L
There is also 7L0965561J which has both flow and return in the same plane - not at 90degs if that would help fitment. These are called auxiliary coolant pumps - and seem to be fitted to large cars like Amorak, Transporter, Cayenne etc..
They all seem to be rated at 500 l/h flow and 0.15bar pressure.

1K0965561J is called a parking heater water recirculation pump and seems to be fitted to smaller cars like Golf and Beetle.
I can't see any flow of pressure ratings for these parking heater pumps - but my guess would be they don't flow as much as the aux coolant pumps above? Obviously if this flows enough then no issues.