asking advice to buy a oscilloscope Topic is solved

chentron

asking advice to buy a oscilloscope

Post by chentron »

My terios is collecting dust in the garage and the time has come to have a tool to help me diagnose what is wrong with my inverter.
I ask you for help in choosing an oscilloscope that meets what is needed in an EV conversion as cheaply as possible. I don't care if I have to connect it to a laptop. I've never handled one so the easier it is to use, the better.
thanks
uhi22

Re: asking advice to buy a oscilloscope

Post by uhi22 »

Using this: OWON VDS1022I Oszilloskop Virtual Dual-Channel, 25Mhz, USB-Isolation, 100MS/S Oscilloscope.

It has only two channels, which sometimes may be too less. The big advantage is the isolated USB, so meauring on any potential is fine. Also well portable, due to small box just connected to the notebook.
chentron

Post by chentron »

I forgot to say something... if the oscilloscope is USB, I prefer one that supports Linux, even if it is through virtualbox
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

Rigol & Siglent both make decent standalone oscilloscopes for a bit more money than USB laptop scopes.
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

I would recommend you to get four channels in any case. You can NEVER have enough channels :D
chentron

Post by chentron »

like owon with the protected usb... i can remember johu burnt a oscilloscope because unprotected usb. If this happens to the master ...
The 4 channels version from owon goes to 750 euros
2 channels owon suggested by uhi is 86 eu.
aliexpress suggest me hantek brand but for about the double of owon, and unprotected usb , and only with 2 probes pieces, so probably will go for the uhi suggest. will think tonight
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

On johus desk I think there was a small four channel USB thing. Dont know the brand, maybe somebody can help...
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Picoscopes are really good USB oscilloscope, but they aren't much or any cheaper than their standalone counterparts.

In the end with an oscilloscope it's a bit of "buy once cry once". In my opinion a good oscilloscope is such an invaluable tool that it's worth spending some money on it. I just don't have the energy to deal with those cheap Aliexpress oscilloscopes that don't work as intended or maybe even show incorrect signals.
chentron

Post by chentron »

i am considering the hantek 6022BL = 2 channels + 16 Channels Logic Analyzer
i dont know how important are the 16 channels. Can be nice to have it ?
I see it can use the saleae software :
chentron

Post by chentron »

was ready to buy the hantek but I found linux software for this: github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022
So the OWON VDS1022I is my choice.

thanks for all your advice.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Are you looking specifically for a laptop connected one?

Out of the scopes available to me I most often use my very portable self-contained Hantek 2000 series. It's very portable and very cheap, but still a real oscilloscope in my book. However, it doesn't have features like CAN decoding. It's just a plain and simple 2 channel scope with reasonable bandwidth and basic features you'd find in a 1990s desktop scope. Plus it also can act as a multimeter with a very readable big backlit display.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

uhi22 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:27 pm Dont know the brand, maybe somebody can help...
Analog Discover 2. 2 channel 30 MHz scope, 2 channel AWG, 16 channel IO. And yes I'm through 4 of them :oops:
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
chentron

Post by chentron »

I cancelled the OWON choice because I found also linux software for the hantek scope,
also because Owon was a bit short of memory (5k) vs hantek (1M)
, so I take the 6022BL
here is the linux software: https://github.com/OpenHantek/OpenHantek6022

thanks all for the suggestions.
chentron

Post by chentron »

I have already got my hands on the hantek and have already tried it with DC. Originally the scope has not AC coupling but it can be modified to have it. If I want to test the AC output signal... need to have the AC coupling modification ? where do I put the probe connectors? one goes to L1 but the one that should go to ground... what is considered ground in the inverter? Is it the negative of the DC HV bus or the inverter chassis?
I want to do this test:
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ ... ng.124865/
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

If I were to measure the DC link in an EV I would prefer to use a differential probe. It's the easy way to make sure the scope and the humans survive.

That may not fit in a tight buget though, in which case you will have to ground one side of the DC link in order to measure. Also make sure to use a 10x or 100x probe or some other type of protection for the scope against too much input voltage.