[wip] DIY electric buggy for school students, Renault PHEV drive, Auris openinverter board

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Ruudi S

[wip] DIY electric buggy for school students, Renault PHEV drive, Auris openinverter board

Post by Ruudi S »

This is my voluntary or work/hobby project for our vocational school to teach EV technology simply and safely. We already had made this buggy in one Erasmus+ project. But at the time I had no experience with openinverter technology. I still haven't but I am ready to learn. At the moment Buggy is driving and equipped with Nissan Leaf 2012 battery modules 10S2P 84V 8kWh, 9kW Brushed forklift motor and 550A Curtis controller (limited to 100A), a small DC/DC and 3kW onboard charger, ANT bms with display and bluetooth. It's all nice but... It came out really heavy 490kg for such a small buggy ofcourse one reason is that we are here no automotive engineers we teach and train workers for car service workshops. The frame is stronger than necessary, it doesn't have a diff at rear axle so manouvering in garage is very hard.
2024 started for me with local Toyota Baltics training for hybrid and electric cars and last year we have been given the renault drivetrain. I also ordered Auris board from evbmw.com shop. So now convinced from training that toyota hybrid stuff is pretty clever solution I contacted my countryman jnsaff from this forum who has already given me many parts from his projects that he didn't need. But now, this year we bought an Auris inverter from him.
IMG_2392.JPG
Attachments
IMG_7766.JPG
Ruudi S

Re: [wip] DIY electric buggy for school students, Renault PHEV drive, Auris openinverter board

Post by Ruudi S »

Here's what the electric buggy looked like when it was finished september 2021
Attachments
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG
Ruudi S

Re: [wip] DIY electric buggy for school students, Renault PHEV drive, Auris openinverter board

Post by Ruudi S »

Now we need to prepare the Auris inverter for driving our Renault drivetrain. We use openinverter auris/yaris board. It comes almost complete only needs a few connectors and one IC chip to be soldered.

IMG_7898.JPG
Received the IC14 chip and some connectors from mouser

IMG_7902.JPG
Soldered connectors onto the board

IMG_7915.JPG
Connected 12V power to the board and it started two leds, right one flashes.

To adjust or program the mainboard you can connect to it from any device with wifi connection. I saw the ESP module right away with my phone and the inverter page opened. Now we need to find out what parameters and stuff can we change on the page.

Here's what I see when browsing inverter page
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

It took about a week and good help from forum members to find out that installed D1 mini ESP wifi module is connected to the atmega 328 microcontroller what controls the high voltage and high power DC/DC converter that is used as part of the charger. Charging is not what I will be doing right now.
First I'd like to get the inverter to make the motor to turn.

To get the wifi module talking to the stm32 I needed to connect it to the other wifi module connector J2.
IMG_7928.JPG
When it was done, the web page displayed parameters right away!
Here's a few pictures of the web interface when it's getting the data from main inverter controller STM32
9.02.24 inverteri parameetrid.jpg
9.02.24 inverteri parameetrid2.jpg
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

About motor connectors. I need to find out what connectors are used here for resolvers. I'll try to ask local Renault dealer because I didn't find any from online wreckyards, also I have some japanese EV wireing laying around maybe something matches?

smaller generator/motor resolver connector:
IMG_7922.JPG
IMG_7924.JPG
bigger motor, the one with gearbox and differential

IMG_7925.JPG
IMG_7926.JPG
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

These connectors look very much like Hirose connectors. Maybe you can spot some numbers on the connector?

They look somewhat similar to the GT18W Series from the Mitsubishi components, but not quite I think.
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

crasbe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:19 pm These connectors look very much like Hirose connectors. Maybe you can spot some numbers on the connector?
Yes thank you for the idea! Thanks to that I found a number on the smaller generator/motor resolver connector 12519
a little googling found a mighty interesting 451 page toyota connector document
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/wire_harness_rm/RM06H0E.pdf
IMG_7930.JPG
Seems like aliexpress has something similiar to offer do you guys think it's ok quality?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006 ... LVxzY&mp=1
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Aparrently that's a Sumitomo connector, the Sumitomo part number is TS025-8P. But it seems that that's a Toyota-only connector as it has the Toyota part number on it's side and not the Sumitomo part number.

The Aliexpress offer is certainly worth a shot, otherwise you could try to go to your friendly local Toyota/Lexus dealership and ask if they want to sell you a connector.

If you can't find connectors for the white connectors, it might be worth trying out if the 3D printed signal glands from the Mitsubishi stuff fit here: viewtopic.php?t=3563
They look very similar in shape. If you want to, I can provide some measurements for cross checking.
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

I think it turns now! It took a few days to understand what to adjust and change.

Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

crasbe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:38 pm But it seems that that's a Toyota-only connector as it has the Toyota part number on it's side.
you could try to go to your friendly local Toyota/Lexus dealership and ask if they want to sell you a connector.
I think I'll order from Toyota dealership parts girl, they have one available what I think fits there and shipped only in a few days, price was under 20€
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

Now when smaller motor is turning and the resolver connector is on its way it's time to deal with the main motor that is going to drive our vehicle.
I pushed the Renault drivetrain with 30kW electric motor near my 2012 Nissan Leaf stand (equipped with all the wires and control units).
20240223_164252.jpg
This is the resolver connector

20240223_171713.jpg
these 3 black connectors are the control connectors to Nissan Leaf 2012 OBC

20240223_164611.jpg
38855 written here

20240223_164316.jpg
And it fits perfectly!

There's written 38855 on the plug. It seems like it could be Yazaki 7283-8855-30 But I asked from Nissan service maybe they'll sell it to me.

yazaki link: https://www.yazaki-direct.co.uk/store/7 ... p423088902
aliexpress with wires : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001355493314.html
aliexpress just connector: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002925074865.html

Update, Nissan here like renault doesn't sell connectors separately only have to buy part of wiring with all the connectors and stuff.
Ruudi S

Post by Ruudi S »

Ruudi S wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:53 pm crasbe wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 pm
But it seems that that's a Toyota-only connector as it has the Toyota part number on it's side.
you could try to go to your friendly local Toyota/Lexus dealership and ask if they want to sell you a connector.

I think I'll order from Toyota dealership parts girl, they have one available what I think fits there and shipped only in a few days, price was under 20€
Well I received it but its only the connector housing. Where can I get the pins I don't know yet. Toyota worker that was at the desk today didn't know either.
toyota connector.jpg
The tables in the toyota document I found seems to guide me to 82998–24250
contacts.jpg
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

I think this is the correct part Sumitomo 8100-3455. I buy parts from here https://www.auto-click.co.uk/6189-1240
Not so good from outside the UK but is a least a good source of infomation.