Indicate lack of communication between ESP and STM

Discussion about various user interfaces such as web interface, displays and apps
MattsAwesomeStuff

Indicate lack of communication between ESP and STM

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Only thing I might add as enhancement is...

I've noticed myself and others over the years getting stuck not knowing that the ESP8266 isn't communicating with the control board. It's not obvious at first. It's definitely not obvious if you haven't seen a working configuration screen before. And it's not obvious what is wrong or what to do about it.

This is suddenly topical as... for some reason my Wemos D1 Mini (probably?) isn't communicating with the inverter board (after a few months of working just fine), or perhaps the inverter board went bad, and aside from replacing the dupont wires with actual soldering, I've no idea what's actually wrong or what to do to fix it (other than replace both whole boards).

A little status message at the top about "Wifi/Controller comms established" in green vs. "Wifi cannot find controller" in red would at least save them some troubleshooting time knowing what's broken.

Also, in general, Github is a great way for programmers to track and coordinate their progress, but it's something everyone else avoids and doesn't understand. So, keeping the forum talk as the start of this process was good to see.
chrskly

Re: Feature and Issue tracking

Post by chrskly »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:25 pm A little status message at the top about "Wifi/Controller comms established" in green vs. "Wifi cannot find controller" in red would at least save them some troubleshooting time knowing what's broken.
This is a great idea. I've logged a github issue for this and will take a look at it myself.
chrskly

Re: Indicate lack of communication between ESP and STM

Post by chrskly »

This is what I have so far. Open to any suggestions :)

It appears after two failed data fetches and disappears on recovery.
oi-comms-error.png
chrskly

Re: Indicate lack of communication between ESP and STM

Post by chrskly »

I did a little testing and this seems to be working OK. PR submitted for the esp8266 version : https://github.com/jsphuebner/esp8266-w ... ce/pull/24

Will have a look at the esp32 version tomorrow.