1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter

What motor/inverter combo would you like to see me use?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 pm

Nissan Leaf
38%
Toyota Prius
44%
Other (No Outlanders in US)
18%

Total votes: 34
rstevens81

Re: 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3

Post by rstevens81 »

Gregski wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:04 pm then it was time to lay down some dimes,
I can see your using your YouTube millions well :D

I think we need to put it to a vote we need to change 'gregski's user name to 'super fast gregg' :D

Do love the pure simplicity of the build, it deffo forfills the requirements of minimum viable product 😁 ....
Although normally I don't like the idea of putting the batteries in the crumple zone at the rear the BMW box is built like a tank and can see it being a lot stronger than the rest of the rear structure (ignoring rust effects).
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

couldn't wait any longer, had to tether the Prius transaxle to the newly installed inverter with the orange jump ropes

IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Did you really start this last year in secret and now releasing all the footage?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Bigpie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:54 pm Did you really start this last year in secret and now releasing all the footage?
ha ha, the only thing I recall doing last year, was seeing this video

the pic below is of the incomplete registration application on the day I bought the car, the seller and I both went in together to make sure everything was copacetic, at that time I still needed to get the VIN (vehicle identification number) verified since the knuckleheads who owned it before me registered it out of state, yet the car never physically left California
IMG_3148 arrow.jpg
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Gregski wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:11 pm the pic below is of the incomplete registration application on the day I bought the car, the seller and I both went in together to make sure everything was copacetic, at that time I still needed to get the VIN (vehicle identification number) verified since the knuckleheads who owned it before me registered it out of state, yet the car never physically left California
people in euro land see the car from the future :)

seriously have you ben sacked or are you just doing what i was doing till i got told off by the better half and taking very long lunch breaks to work on the car

PS you need to get get sponsorship ...from angle grinder manufacturers :)
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:56 pm PS you need to get get sponsorship ...from angle grinder manufacturers :)
ha ha, I'll settle for the cut off discs - wonder if Costco sells them?

Cut Off Discs.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

it's raining out so I'm jumping around a little bit (order be damned!)

Thanks be to Mr. Damien Maguire of the EVBMW.com fame, and all you Reverse Engineers here on openiverter.org

ZombieVerter Case.png

there's 5 ways to power this thing up, and here's one of them, just a dime a dozen 9 volt battery - luv it !

the blue thing is a WiFi card
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG

sourced from AliExpress FCI 56 Pin/Way Female And Male ECU Connector Plug With 18AWG 3 Meters Full Wire Cable With Shell 211PC562S8009 211PC562S0008 $90 bucks
AliExpress Zombie Case.jpg
Gregski

Re: 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Post by Gregski »

soldering on the 56 pin header connector

Fun Level: -2

IMG_3166.JPG
IMG_3168.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

beer makes everything better

IMG_3173.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Tell me the wife is out of the house, without telling me the wife is out of the house...

IMG_3170.JPG
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Gregski wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:50 pm soldering on the 56 pin header connector
Fun Level: -2
soldering though hole components is a doddle after soldering smd :)
just get good leaded solder and its fine, just dont try and buy it from rs components apparently it restricted to professionals as i might eat leaded solder :?

edit:
Gregski wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:54 pm Tell me the wife is out of the house, without telling me the wife is out of the house...
thats the wife warning/capturing device isnt it ?
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

rstevens81 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:55 pm soldering though hole components is a doddle after soldering smd :)
the soldering is the easy part, getting all 56 pins through the holes at the same time is an art

Prius Gen 3 HV Stand Offs DIY EV Conversion

IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3205.JPG

Can't Kill A Toyota Inverter Part 2: Where to connect the HV battery to the Prius inverter.

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

one eternity later.jpg
IMG_3179.JPG

ZombieVerter VCU Throttle Calibration procedure (starring Mr. Damien Maguire)

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

minimal wire harness, about to head into the garage for the first spin of the motor

IMG_3185 labeled.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

well the first attempt to spin the motor late last night proved UNSUCCESSFUL

- the inverter had power and made the whinny high pitched noise
- Forward signal had 12v
- Zombie VCU Pin #15 had 12v

No ISA current shunt implemented
No BMW sBox implemented
just using a 300 watt 30 volt 10 amp bench power supply for my high voltage battery pack (this worked on the Lexus GS450h)

IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
tom91

Post by tom91 »

You get into run mode? Also what version are you using?
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

tom91 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:07 pm You get into run mode? Also what version are you using?
thank you Tom, short answer is No, and I should have mentioned the version: 2.05A

here are some screen shots, at first I forgot about the udcmin which was set to 450 volts, I have since changed it to 20 since I am using a 30 volt bench power supply

I do not have a shunt neither the ISA nor the BMW Safety Box at this time, so I set that to na

Settings 02.png

IMG_3227.JPG
tom91

Post by tom91 »

you need to set UDCsw to 0 to bypass contactors. Please post your full settng download.

You need ignition power this should be the pin 15 you mention, and then also a start signal pin 52 as per diagram linked.
https://openinverter.org/wiki/File:Zomb ... inout2.jpg
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

tom91 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:01 pm you need to set UDCsw to 0 to bypass contactors. Please post your full settng download.

You need ignition power this should be the pin 15 you mention, and then also a start signal pin 52 as per diagram linked.
https://openinverter.org/wiki/File:Zomb ... inout2.jpg
Thanks Tom I will post that in a minute, however I wonder if my problem lies in the inverter connector wiring or lack there of, all I have wired up to it is the 4 sync serial wires and the two grounds and the two 12v wires, nothing else, below the red items are not wired

Inverter Connector Wiring.jpg
Inverter Plug Labeled.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

son of an itch it works !!!

you will not believe what it was

I guess these extension leads offered too much resistance for that little Power Supply
IMG_3230.JPG

once I removed them and connected the short original bench power supply leads directly to the inverter posts all worked fine
IMG_3232.JPG
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Gregski wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:16 pmPrius Gen 3 HV Stand Offs DIY EV Conversion
Copper and aluminum exist on opposite ends of the electrochemical scale, and thus when touching, create a battery that powers its own corrosion. It's why we don't do aluminum wiring in houses anymore, and the retrofit option for not tearing it all out is steel conductors inserted to separate them at the wire nuts in every box.

I'd do copper or brass.

Also, iirc Damien had his at 2 different heights so that the ring terminals can't accidentally touch each other if the bolts slip and allow the cables to rotate. That is your + and - straight off of the battery.

Do you have an oxy-ace torch? Poke your finger into some sand mixed with ground up kitty litter, and pour a bar of copper for yourself. Think of all those discarded wires from cannibalized wiring harnesses, they can ferry electrons once again!

In traditional scrapper culture, to honor its spirit, no part, of the buffalo/vehicle, shall be wasted.

Metals supermarket for a brass bar and then drill a hole in it, if you prefer throwing change at the problem.

The rattling is normal-ish I think. Seen that a lot. Put some load on it and it stops.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 am Copper and aluminum exist on opposite ends of the electrochemical scale, and thus when touching, create a battery that powers its own corrosion. It's why we don't do aluminum wiring in houses anymore, and the retrofit option for not tearing it all out is steel conductors inserted to separate them at the wire nuts in every box.

I'd do copper or brass.

Also, iirc Damien had his at 2 different heights so that the ring terminals can't accidentally touch each other if the bolts slip and allow the cables to rotate. That is your + and - straight off of the battery.

Do you have an oxy-ace torch? Poke your finger into some sand mixed with ground up kitty litter, and pour a bar of copper for yourself. Think of all those discarded wires from cannibalized wiring harnesses, they can ferry electrons once again!

In traditional scrapper culture, to honor its spirit, no part, of the buffalo/vehicle, shall be wasted.

Metals supermarket for a brass bar and then drill a hole in it, if you prefer throwing change at the problem.

The rattling is normal-ish I think. Seen that a lot. Put some load on it and it stops.

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

below I attempt to Stupidize (TM) the ZombieVerter VCU wiring, presenting just the bare minimum for a first motor spin.

First as documented on the Wiki.
ZombieVerter_VCU_V1_cable_side_pinout2.jpg

and this is what worked for me for my first spin
ZombieVergter VCU Prius Gen 3 Bare Minimum.jpg

Narrative:
  • The greenish represents the 4 synchronous serial twisted pair cables that run from the VCU to the OEM Inverter plug, this is what I call the Intelligence Super Highway (well Autobahn on the account of the Rabbit)
  • Our input comes from the four wires represented in yellow(ish) that run to the Prius OEM throttle pedal (the pedal actually has 6 wires, two for ground and two for 5 volts).
  • Additional input comes from Pin #54 in the form of 12 volts from the regular car battery telling the VCU we want to move Forward.
  • The VCU actually needs three power wires represented as two red and one pink wires that go to the battery positive. Pin #56 is 12 volts, Pin #15 delivers 12 volts when the key in the ignition is turned to the ON position. Pin #52 shown in pink delivers momentary 12 volts when the key is turned further to the right to the START position and then springs back to the ON position. (this can be simulated by briefly tapping the battery positive terminal with the bare wire)
  • Finally Pin #55 represented in gray runs to the battery negative terminal ie ground.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

84 VW MK1 Rabbit ZombieVerter VCU Wire Harness

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

This is just a WeberAuto video showing how the Gen 3 Prius Transaxle uses the final drive ring gear to lubricate itself by splashing the fluid around