Crashed BMW i3 not running

Knulen

Crashed BMW i3 not running

Post by Knulen »

Has someone here tried to use BMW i3 parts from a crashed BMW i3? I'm at the moment not looking into converting a car, but getting a crashed BMW i3 back running. After a crash, some sort of protection is activated which prevents the car from running. I can't find information about this online how to fix this. I guess, people who want to use BMW i3 (or maybe other BMW models) parts from a crashed vehicle have the same issue. And hopefully found a way to fix it.
jrbe

Re: Crashed BMW i3 not running

Post by jrbe »

These have carbon fiber chassis, need to make sure it's not compromised. From my understanding that's why these get totalled easily.

Do you have a scan tool? Things like an isolation fault, crash system issue, blown pyro fuse, etc. can all prevent startup. A scan tool to go through the modules is where I'd start.
Knulen

Post by Knulen »

I haven't bought one yet, I've seen a few for sale with minor damage on the front end. If I'm correct there is no (structural) carbon fiber in the front end. The ones I have seen (on pictures) look like they only have (minor) damage on body panels. Maybe the (metal?) beam and radiator/hoses behind the bumper, but at first glance they might be fine. Airbags are also not deployed. Information only says the engine won't start due to crash sensors.
I can imagine this can be a known issue for people who want to use the parts for conversions, because these parts are likely taken from salvaged damaged cars.
I have a simple obd2 reader, I'm not sure if that can be useful with this kind of problems. I did read somewhere that obd2 wasn't working because of the deactivated HV-system.
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

Sounds strange that the airbags didn't deploy but something in the crash system would prevent it from running. Emergency services may have pulled a high voltage interlock.

I'm not sure what good OBDII scanners are available for bmw. The autel stuff is pricey but good. I'm not sure that would get you everything you'd need though.

I'd suggest researching what is required for a salvage inspection for your area. There are sometimes unexpected requirements and if there's frame damage may require certifications to repair or ok it

Also, make sure you're getting a copy of the insurance report. That may be required as well.

It isn't likely that insurance totals one without something to merit the totalled label and hassle.

If you're buying one to use in a swap that's a different story.