Tesla Model S P85 "man in the middle" Power upgrade

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Zapatero

Tesla Model S P85 "man in the middle" Power upgrade

Post by Zapatero »

Hi, meanwhile i do have a Tesla Model S P85 and i was asking myself if i could squeeze more power out of the car by intercepting the can messages, especially the torque request or the BMS max amps, to force the motor to output more power.

what are your thoughts?
The canbus for the model s LDU is completely decoded, i assume?

Thanks, Philpi
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Tesla Model S P85 "man in the middle" Power upgrade

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

It might be possible. I think this is a really unexplored area of EV performance, and there could be some really cool opportunities. I've also been thinking about how to make an otherwise "stock" Tesla utilize the extra performance available if the IGBTs and capacitors were upgraded.

I know that Jason Hughes aka wk057 aka HSR Motors aka 057 Technology has figured out how to change and modify the Model S firmware to upgrade cars and create models that didn't exist (different pack configurations and something like a super ludicrous mode) but it sounds like that was all in the firmware, not an intercept.

I think the issues with an intercept might be other parts of the car being unhappy with the motor doing more than they see it being commanded to do. We do know later firmwares had some sort of call and response to other parts of the car that made emulation-type controls (for conversions) very difficult.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week