BMW I3 2019 conversion to VW Kombi 1974

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
KobusI3toKombi

BMW I3 2019 conversion to VW Kombi 1974

Post by KobusI3toKombi »

Hi There!

I'm new to the forum. Thanks everyone for sharing information so freely and creating this community, I am going to need it...
This is a first attempt at a conversion like this.
My project is just in its initial planning stages, and any input would be appreciated. I have a 1974 VW Kombi that I am planning to restore and convert to electric. For this I purchased and accident damaged 2019 120Ah REX BMW I3 on auction. I am hoping to use as many parts of the I3 as possible in the conversion, and modernise the safety and comfort of the VW to as close as possible to the standards of the I3. The plan is to use this as an everyday commuter vehicle for myself, and the occasional family trip. Charging mostly off solar at home with public infrastructure only used on rare occasions. It would be great to use the REX when needed.

I'm not an engineer, but am practical and creative and an owner of a Special effects company in Cape Town South Africa, with access to a well equipped workshop and skills where I will do the project over a time frame of maybe 5 years if possible.

Will post pictures as I go and most likely ask totally cringeworthy questions.

Here we go!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 09.36.15.png
cd01592aaf6c35fd0d16615cb31a9a10.jpg
Knulen

Re: BMW I3 2019 conversion to VW Kombi 1974

Post by Knulen »

I love to see how your project will go. I'm also curious if your i3 currently is running, because I see a lot of wrecked i3's which don't run because of some crash sensors or something have activated some kind of protection in the system. I'm curious if yours have the same and how you have or will fix this.
DaveH

Re: BMW I3 2019 conversion to VW Kombi 1974

Post by DaveH »

This is going to be a really interesting project. The i3 drive system is very good and should work well if you can both fit it in and communicate with it. I have both an i3s and a VW bus. Good luck with it!