Investigating using sine f/w

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
FFMan

Investigating using sine f/w

Post by FFMan »

So related to my other post on searching for 'morning trips'.

The current theory is gearbox is broken, i have a spare and will try that at the weekend but i'm not convinced.

In testing we found my motor would spin happily up and down on the throttle with the gearbox in neutral but with the car in gear and wheels off the ground it wouldn't with immediate OVERCURRENT trip. It would appear the slightest load caused a trip. So either the gearbox is broken (doesn't appear to be with it off the car), or we're back to looking for an electrical issue.

I've check the resistance of the resolvers and exciter back to the Ampseal and numbers are spot on.

If i load the sine f/w can i up the parameters i used in bench (forget what they are ATM) testing to generate more torque, and if this spins the wheels ok with the car in gear, when the foc won't what is the conclusion. Does the sine foc monitor the current use or just output a sine wave regardless ?
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
catphish

Re: Investigating using sine f/w

Post by catphish »

Usually a hardware failure would cause an immediate trip, excessive load under current seems like a configuration issue.
What hardware are you using, and what parameters?
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

catphish wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:15 pm Usually a hardware failure would cause an immediate trip, excessive load under current seems like a configuration issue.
What hardware are you using, and what parameters?
so the history here is i used the attached params for like 1000 miles before it started tripping. It's detailed in my 'morning trips' post. It started as every few days then got progressively worse until it is now undriveable. i've spent about 4 days so far trying to find the issue, borrowed a spare V1c board but that was a blind alley as i don't think that board ever worked and it reports LORESAMP despite having all the mods on the wiki applied.

I don't think it can be the params. Dialling them back a bit temporarily fixed the issue but only for a day or so, i think just because it reduced the current demand.

I am open to suggestions but i have tried a lot and ruled out a lot along the way so far as i can tell.
Attachments
params-BestNoTrip.json
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

I'm not sure if you are looking in the right place.
Would it be possible to have a battery connection not tight enough?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

EV_Builder wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:43 pm I'm not sure if you are looking in the right place.
Would it be possible to have a battery connection not tight enough?
well yes and no really. it did occur to me that its tripping under load due to some weak link, but thing is, when it started tripping (before it was totally broken), once i got it moving it was fine, and i drove it rest of the day without issue, then next day TRIP so i can't really explain that in terms of a weak or intermittent connection. A week or so ago when i dialled back the parameters i then drove it for a 3 or 4 miles all ok. It is very odd.

Now the motor and inverter is out i've been checking all the HV connections. I did wonder once its in the car, whether to wire one battery pack direct to the inverter bypassing the contactors and MSDs etc

I've tried two inverters with the same result, only common element is my V1c board which has a slightly chequered history but looks fine when examined closely, and the motor, but i have a spare one of those now so this weekend will be trying (almost certainly in vain) the replacement gearbox, and then failing that the replacement motor.

If all that fails, i've procured an Outlander rear inverter, and i'll go that route but i don't want to give up a solution that gave a 1000 miles of good running.

thanks for the suggestions, nothing is off the table now
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

If it fails from overcurrent, maybe throw a clamp meter on it that records peak and see if it actually overcurrents.

Or, add in a fusible 24g wire or something with one of the motor leads or battery lead and watch if it lets the smoke out. Should handle 29A for 10 seconds before melting. 59A for 1 second.

Depends how much "any" load you're thinking it is, but, there's a thickness of wire (or two) that'll let you know whether it's actually under an overcurrent load before the software trips you, but still enough to tell you it was headed that way.
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Thread updated on Morning Trips as this topic was specifically about sine f/ware and went unanswered.
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs