Hybrid performance

Stopdrpnro

Hybrid performance

Post by Stopdrpnro »

Searched and couldn't find any projects maintaining the hybrid drivetrains. My ls600 is a beautiful vehicle with an amazing v8. can any one point me in the direction of swapping the aging nimh for a lighter more powerful (maybe a 330e)lion pack? There are nexcell li-on packs in development and I've read about adding plugin lion packs to priuses . How difficult/realistic would a project like this be? It appears the most challenging portion would be the battery BMS and tricking the Toyota ECU . thanks in advance guys
arber333

Re: Hybrid performance

Post by arber333 »

Stopdrpnro wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:00 pm Searched and couldn't find any projects maintaining the hybrid drivetrains. My ls600 is a beautiful vehicle with an amazing v8. can any one point me in the direction of swapping the aging nimh for a lighter more powerful (maybe a 330e)lion pack? There are nexcell li-on packs in development and I've read about adding plugin lion packs to priuses . How difficult/realistic would a project like this be? It appears the most challenging portion would be the battery BMS and tricking the Toyota ECU . thanks in advance guys
I read about somewhere this shouldnt be such a problem if you keep the voltage in the same ballpark. Someone said there is a simple BMS on that NiMh pack that is observing couple of cells at a time. I cant reference this now as i have to find the source...
The idea would be to keep your cells voltage higher than NiMh threshold where V8 engine starts.

If you go forward with conversion please document it and your reasoning here because i have a feeling there will be a lot of possibilities to do the same over time.