Honda IMA motor, useful?

Jacobsmess

Honda IMA motor, useful?

Post by Jacobsmess »

There's someone selling an IMA motor locally for £100, seems cheap (they may go cheaper as it's been say on eBay for ages) and they seem to have been reverse engineered (the inverter at least)...

I'm tempted to buy it to learn on but don't have a bunch of disposable cash/time. I'm also thinking about how it could potentially been hooked up to the input of the lexus gearboxes for some batshit fun/CVT control experimenting....

Would anyone say they are useful or too difficult to package for not much motor? Thanks all...
arber333

Re: Honda IMA motor, useful?

Post by arber333 »

Jacobsmess wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:31 pm There's someone selling an IMA motor locally for £100, seems cheap (they may go cheaper as it's been say on eBay for ages) and they seem to have been reverse engineered (the inverter at least)...

I'm tempted to buy it to learn on but don't have a bunch of disposable cash/time. I'm also thinking about how it could potentially been hooked up to the input of the lexus gearboxes for some batshit fun/CVT control experimenting....

Would anyone say they are useful or too difficult to package for not much motor? Thanks all...
Does this include rotor and stator? Sometime people forget rotor is bolted to the engine shaft....
If you get both parts you would then have to make a casing and probably a way of suspending the second bearing of the rotor in it...
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

arber333 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:20 am Does this include rotor and stator? Sometime people forget rotor is bolted to the engine shaft....
If you get both parts you would then have to make a casing and probably a way of suspending the second bearing of the rotor in it...
This is what is included plus the bolts to bolt the flywheel to the motor
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-11-04-10-33-33-914_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Jacobsmess wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:34 am This is what is included plus the bolts to bolt the flywheel to the motor
I see, as i said you would have to make a sidewall with a center bearing to support your rotor on one side but on the other side you need to add another support bearing with a flange output where you can output torque.
I see you could use the current casing as support, i dont know whit kind of fitting you would have to use for the other side.
You would need to really center the bearing step so your rotor would rotate inside stator within tolerance despite heating up.

If you have access to machine shop then there is a good chance you can do it good.

EDIT: it seems like on the other side is already a bearing inserted?
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

arber333 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:10 am I see, as i said you would have to make a sidewall with a center bearing to support your rotor on one side but on the other side you need to add another support bearing with a flange output where you can output torque.
I see you could use the current casing as support, i dont know whit kind of fitting you would have to use for the other side.
You would need to really center the bearing step so your rotor would rotate inside stator within tolerance despite heating up.

If you have access to machine shop then there is a good chance you can do it good.

EDIT: it seems like on the other side is already a bearing inserted?
Thanks, so I may be misunderstanding how this works but given there is no engine input, could I not do away with the bearing support?
Looking at it, the flywheel is on the output side I think... So if I bolt the flywheel to the input of a Lexus transmission, then seat it into the IMA motor it then bols to the inner spinny part (rotor?) Of the IMA motor.
Then I need to fix the outer casing to the bellhousing of the lexus transmission centralising the inner rotor....

I may be misunderstanding all of this though..... I guess I could feed some round bar into the bearing from the engine side and use this to centralise the flywheel and create a face plate.... I guess this might actually be what you are saying anyway....