Throttle Cable Adapter Best Practices?

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
ImportFanatiK

Throttle Cable Adapter Best Practices?

Post by ImportFanatiK »

Could anyone suggest the best approach for adapting the existing throttle cable to interface with open inverter?

Is there a known part that can be used for this purpose I could find in a wrecker? Or is there a good aftermarket kit anyone would reccomend?

Or is it better to try replace the entire pedal assembly with an ev drive by wire pedal, and if so why?

Thanks!
Bratitude

Re: Throttle Cable Adapter Best Practices?

Post by Bratitude »

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=418

or a throttle body sensors off a intake manifold.

A drive by wire pedal is better because there is less moving parts—less chance of failure, and less mechanical play
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Doig5710

Post by Doig5710 »

There is a honda accelerator pedal sensor that works nicely with most older style cable setups, have used these in boats and cars with a e throttle conversion before, out of lots of different Hondas so cheap at the wreckers yards.
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

Doig5710 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:03 am There is a honda accelerator pedal sensor that works nicely with most older style cable setups, have used these in boats and cars with a e throttle conversion before, out of lots of different Hondas so cheap at the wreckers yards.
Any idea which ones to look out for? Also, what makes them work nicely?
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

in the early days of electronic diesel control, many cars were adapted to use e-throttle sensors from the standard cable throttle pedal, as the gasoline versions were still using cable throttle.

Being that Bosch ECU's powered a lot of these cars its not surprising to find a bosch sensor to do what you need. Ofcourse it makes sense to find one thats common in your region.

As a few examples,

BMW M51: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285144412760

VW TDI https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285489162968

Audi TDI https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304830222734

These are all likely readily available in europe (although granted, becoming less common as these are from 90's cars)
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Aragorn wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:50 pm in the early days of electronic diesel control, many cars were adapted to use e-throttle sensors from the standard cable throttle pedal, as the gasoline versions were still using cable throttle.

Being that Bosch ECU's powered a lot of these cars its not surprising to find a bosch sensor to do what you need. Ofcourse it makes sense to find one thats common in your region.

As a few examples,

BMW M51: BMW Part Number: 224569, Bosch Part Number: 0 205 001 040

VW TDI: Bosch Part Number: 0 205 001 012

Audi TDI: VAG Part Number: 028907475AJ, Bosch Part Number: 0 281 002 286

These are all likely readily available in europe (although granted, becoming less common as these are from 90's cars)
I replaced your eBay Links with the corresponding part numbers for future reference. eBay links are quite volatile after someone bought the part.

Maybe someone wants to write a wiki article about those :)
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

In the Previa, I reused the original throttle body with its sensor. If you do so, make sure you can achieve your preferred level of redundancy in the signals.

The sensor in the Previa has the potentiometer output plus an idle switch, and I made it so that if the idle switch is active, throttle is heavily limited, so that if the potentiometer is reporting wrongly, the car doesn't become a total hazard.

Reusing the cable and throttle body is of course not an ideal solution in every way. Mine tends to stick a little in cold weather after not been driven for a couple of weeks. It's very good safety practice to wire up the brake signal to override throttle to zero.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

One very cheap cable driven throttle sensor is 9643365680. It's used on French cars. I don't know the pinout, but it seems to be a 4 pin sensor so not too difficult to test and find out using a current limited power supply. I would be very surprised if it didn't provide simple analog signals when supplied 5V, like almost all of them do.

EDIT: This was tested now by Tomdb/tom91, with results:
4 - Gnd
3 - 5V
2 - Sig 2 requires pull up to 5V
1 - Sig 1 requires pull up to 5V
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

Thanks all, this is interesting and something I had wondered about given my accelerator pedal is not a typical one and in a conversion it might be preferential to keep the existing cable setup and have a pot or similar control it.

I had read that hall sensors are much more reliable/less prone to incorrect readings, does anyone want to weigh in on this?
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

celeron55 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:00 pm One very cheap cable driven throttle sensor is 9643365680. It's used on French cars. I don't know the pinout, but it seems to be a 4 pin sensor so not too difficult to test and find out using a current limited power supply. I would be very surprised if it didn't provide simple analog signals when supplied 5V, like almost all of them do.
Came across this tread by accident and was thinking of using an old throttle sensor instead of a prius pedal as its quite tight in the foot well.
just brought one for £15 with the plug on it so when it arrives ill add it to wiki, makes my life (hopefully) easier to use one of these than 3d print some monstrosity to make a prius pedal fit :)
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
arber333

Post by arber333 »

rstevens81 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:01 am Came across this tread by accident and was thinking of using an old throttle sensor instead of a prius pedal as its quite tight in the foot well.
just brought one for £15 with the plug on it so when it arrives ill add it to wiki, makes my life (hopefully) easier to use one of these than 3d print some monstrosity to make a prius pedal fit :)
I feel your pain.
I would recommend not to use any 3D printed fittings unless it is made by quality (expensive) printer and material.
Here you can see how i adapted AURIS pedal since it had a metal rod for lever. Prius pedal wouldnt fit as the steering column would require a bend in the lever. I could then cut the OEM pedal lever in halfh and used Auris pedal for the base with the lever from original.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... tle-pedal/
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

celeron55 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:00 pm One very cheap cable driven throttle sensor is 9643365680. It's used on French cars. I don't know the pinout, but it seems to be a 4 pin sensor so not too difficult to test and find out using a current limited power supply. I would be very surprised if it didn't provide simple analog signals when supplied 5V, like almost all of them do.

EDIT: This was tested now by Tomdb/tom91, with results:
4 - Gnd
3 - 5V
2 - Sig 2 requires pull up to 5V
1 - Sig 1 requires pull up to 5V
Does anyone have any info on these? I bought one but it's not giving anything out. I think it's because it needs a pull up resistor, any idea on what resistance?
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Jacobsmess wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:59 am Does anyone have any info on these? I bought one but it's not giving anything out. I think it's because it needs a pull up resistor, any idea on what resistance?
The answer is the same as in the other thread. You need pullup resistors. Tom tested it and it didn't give out any signal without them.
The value of the Pullup resistors is the same as in the other thread as well, 1kOhm.
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

I looked for information on Tom's tests but they didn't seem to be on the forum or wiki from what I searched. Also felt it was worthwhile adding information to this thread for others that might be looking and requesting information from others that have used them but I'll source some resistors cheers.
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

It is quite difficult to find such information in the forums. To improve this, I just created a page in the wiki for this sensor:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Peugeot_Throttle_Sensor Please feel free to add more information there, if you find something out, and add crosslinks to / from other pages which could be helpful.