tmphs 0c on LDU

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
mane2

tmphs 0c on LDU

Post by mane2 »

All the sudden the tmphs started showing 0c. Everything works, but something is not right now.

Where is this sensor, and how to check? Can that sensor get disconnected? Fixed?
mane2

Re: tmphs 0c on LDU

Post by mane2 »

I hope it's just connector that has got disconnected from the board. I think it's the white cables either from top left or bottom right. Other is probably heatsink (tmphs) and other is motor (tmpm).
image.png
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

I have had this when the connector is dirty / wet.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
mane2

Post by mane2 »

So, motor out .. inverter cover open, and there is a lot of coolant in the inverter housing. After removing inverter and tracing the leak, we found out that it's the inverter heat sink plate bolts that leak! Two of them quite badly, rest 4 also .. but not that bad.

I checked my burned LDU, and it also had coolant in those bolt holes, but much less. Seems to be issue with these.

So the 0c temps, were caused by coolant getting into coolant connector, which is very bottom of inverter. Luckily we quickly opened the motor, before the coolant level reached the inverter boards or igbts. Problem now is that how to seal them without opening the coolant plates that are glued and sealed. There are O rings where the bolts are, but for some reason they are not doing their job.

Need to drill a drain hole to inverter cover, to be able to monitor the situation after adding silicon or something to bolt holes. Also good to get that liquid out before it destroys my second inverter unit :| 
image.png
image.png