For Sale: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Motor and sub-assembly

Buy and sell
cgalpin

For Sale: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Motor and sub-assembly

Post by cgalpin »

This is a motor and sub-assembly from a rear wheel drive Hyundai Ionic 5 with 124 miles on it - like new (no accident). I believe these are 125 kW (168HP) / 350 Nm (258 lb.-ft.) motors from the Hyundai E-GMP platform with integrated gearbox and a 5 link suspension. The distance from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is 67 ⅞”

Located in Northern Virginia.
$1,500 OBO

*I have additional components from this car if you are interested, such as the battery, ICCU, DC-DC convertor, CCS charge port and cabling, VCMS, high voltage junction box, etc.

I don't know much about these, but here are some links to additional info

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/br ... revolution

Hyundai Video - (skip the first 3 mins)

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_E ... r_Platform

Munroe teardown video -
Attachments
IMG_0413.jpeg
IMG_0490.jpeg
cgalpin

Re: For Sale: Hyundai Ioniq 5 Motor and sub-assembly

Post by cgalpin »

$2,000 OBO
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

Come on folks, 800V is the FUTURE :)

What's it going to take to get interest in these? $1,500? If I can sell a couple of these, I could afford to send one to Damien if he has any interest in reverse engineering one.

More pictures while moving them to storage if it helps.
IMG_0711.jpeg
IMG_0713.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_0715.jpeg
IMG_0717.jpeg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Ok I've got questions. Why is this car being parted out if it wasn't in an accident? and at such low miles?

The price is enticing but I'd like to know a little more.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Any info available?

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Anything? or should we just assume these "fell off a truck"?

jrbe

Post by jrbe »

cgalpin wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:29 pm$2,000 OBO
Quoting cgalpin, they mentioned a few times that they weren't getting notifications. Might help..
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

Thanks @jrbe. Sorry for not responding @P.S.Mangelsdorf, I am not sure why but I am not getting notifications on regular responses (but am when tagged it seems).

I am thin on details, but happy to provide any info I can. These cars were part of an autonomous driving program (robotaxis) that ended, although I do not know why, but these cars were barely used - they looked like new inside and out. I was told (so this is just rumor) that someone died and they shutdown the program and sent these cars to a junk yard to be crushed. I personally pulled these so I know care was taken and I made sure i got all the connectors and didn't ruin things needed (like brake lines cut on the car side of the connectors, etc).

The cars were built in ~2020 so possibly pre-production or based on early release candidates based on notes taped to things, and likely have heavier duty springs to account for additional weight in the trunk (hardware to support the autonomous driving). Someone had clearly spent a lot of time and money prepping these cars - all the additional wiring for lidar and screens was carefully integrated into the wiring harness, and exterior modifications were made to the cars to support the lidar and all the related autonomous driving stuff.

Anyway, i don't want to post too many pictures publicly of the cars since it's all here say and someone seemed to want to keep this on the down low, but I added a few.

PM me if you want to discuss more. I might be headed that way in late January, and could try convince my wife to bring one down if you are interested.
car.jpeg
sticker.jpeg
lidar mounts.jpeg
interior.jpeg
frunk.jpeg
trunk.jpeg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

cgalpin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:01 pm Thanks @jrbe. Sorry for not responding @P.S.Mangelsdorf, I am not sure why but I am not getting notifications on regular responses (but am when tagged it seems).

Anyway, i don't want to post too many pictures publicly of the cars since it's all here say and someone seemed to want to keep this on the down low, but I added a few.

PM me if you want to discuss more. I might be headed that way in late January, and could try convince my wife to bring one down if you are interested.
Ok, that's got to be the most interesting possible source for these. Let me see how end of the year finances shake out (got to love clients that don't pay on time), and if I can make it work I'll shoot you a message in early January.

cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

FYI my January trip is cancelled, but I will be going in April for sure.
dcwang

Post by dcwang »

Hey @cgalpin. Any chance you have just the HV cable coming off the motor available for sale?
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

Geesh, still not getting notifications on this thread. Thanks for PMing me. As I said I want to hang onto these so whomever gets the motors has the cables, But I want these to get used and it's a bit of a chicken before the egg situation - if no-one is able to figure out how to use them, then these will never get used. What's your project and how do you plan to control the motor? I might be willing to canabilize one to make the other 3 more useful :)

BTW, it turns the motors have 2 kinds of connections, which I am not 100% sure I understand the difference for.

1. motor has connection just to the battery (no box with the HV cable coming out of it (in the first picture), just the HV cable coming out where it interfaces with the motor). Charge port has just J1772
2. The one shown in the first picture. It has a cable from the charge port to the motor, and a cable to the battery. The charge ports supports CCS

So I assume #1 is. J1772 only and charges directly using the CCM, and #2 supports CCS and need additional circuitry/logic in that box on the motor. I think in either case the inverter is integrated and the same, but not 100% sure.
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

FYI, I will be traveling from Northern Virginia to Dallas, TX the weekend of April 6/7, and could deliver or meet you along the way if that helps.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

cgalpin wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:09 pm FYI, I will be traveling from Northern Virginia to Dallas, TX the weekend of April 6/7, and could deliver or meet you along the way if that helps.
Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to explore these units, I'm not in a position to purchase it right now.