Audi A2 Prius Gen2 - huh again?

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
johu
Site Admin

Audi A2 Prius Gen2 - huh again?

Post by johu »

So here we go again. Like I might have mentioned elsewhere my friend Thomas as an infinite stack auf A2s in his back yard and we have pretty much committed to converting another one.

The USP here is that it will be almost an exact copy of the first one :) So we want to find out how quickly we can pull this off on a known car with most parts pre-ordered and pre-fabricated.

Some things will be different though:
- Larger batteries. 30 or 40 kWh Leaf would be an obvious choice but I'm sure there is better bang for the buck available
- Proper battery box
- CCS fast charging

I'm not super keen on opening up the gear box. I would think when the input shaft is not locked MG1 shouldn't be spinning at all. I don't want to experiment with it as performance of MG2 is good enough for cruising. Only thing I would consider is removing MG1 rotor and stator as well the planet gear rubbish for some weight saving.

So, more importantly which 400V/30kWh-ish batteries are on the market ?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Re: Audi A2 Prius Gen2 - huh again?

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:56 am So here we go a gain. Like I might have mentioned elsewhere my friend Thomas as an infinite stack auf A2s in his back yard and we have pretty much committed to converting another one.

So, more importantly which 400V/30kWh-ish batteries are on the market ?
Hyundai 96S
Ioniq 38kwh
Kona 40kwh

VW 88S
Golf-E 36kWh
E-UP 35kWh
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

This is going to be cool, though different battery might add more time for integration.

I think there's a DBC the covers the BMS master messages for the VW. It's all in German but that's not a problem for you.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Bigpie wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:33 am This is going to be cool, though different battery might add more time for integration.

I think there's a DBC the covers the BMS master messages for the VW. It's all in German but that's not a problem for you.
Yes absolutely. If I manage to swap an MEB battery into Touran by then I could just use its 40 kWh Leaf pack which is mechanically identical.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Is this the start of a dedicated Audi A2 conversion business? :D

The first one took months, the second one weeks and every further one only days :D
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Yeah why not :) The chassis can't rot and most owners are rather ecologically minded.

Arber was asking somewhere else about the TÜV battery bumper distances.
Sides: 200mm, front 420mm, rear 300mm

The way I did it in the first A2 conversion by far exceeds these distances because the battery is in the middle.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:19 pm Yeah why not :) The chassis can't rot and most owners are rather ecologically minded.

Arber was asking somewhere else about the TÜV battery bumper distances.
Sides: 200mm, front 420mm, rear 300mm

The way I did it in the first A2 conversion by far exceeds these distances because the battery is in the middle.
I am sure i would find space to put in much more kWh :).
Say does that requirement about distances include heater, charger, DCDC and inverter components?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

No, just the batteries

Thing is, the car is so aerodynamic that it doesn't need a whole lot of energy storage. I reckon carefully driven it could go 400 km with a 40 kWh (usable) battery
modellfan

Post by modellfan »

arber333 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:12 am Hyundai 96S
Ioniq 38kwh
Kona 40kwh

VW 88S
Golf-E 36kWh
E-UP 35kWh
BMW i3 32kWH and 40kwh working with simpbms are maybe also worth a look.
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

johu wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:56 am I'm not super keen on opening up the gear box. I would think when the input shaft is not locked MG1 shouldn't be spinning at all. I don't want to experiment with it as performance of MG2 is good enough for cruising. Only thing I would consider is removing MG1 rotor and stator as well the planet gear rubbish for some weight saving.
While I still think it would be interesting to see MG1 and MG2 working together, the weight saving of removing MG1 is interesting as well. But I'm not sure it would have much of a measureable benefit.

But at least you have a comprehensive video on how to assemble the gearbox again from Weber State University on YouTube :D
And considering that you can get a Prius 2 gearbox for less than 250€ delivered from Lithuania or Poland, the risk is quite low.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

crasbe wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:48 am While I still think it would be interesting to see MG1 and MG2 working together.
^^^ This :D
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:36 pm No, just the batteries

Thing is, the car is so aerodynamic that it doesn't need a whole lot of energy storage. I reckon carefully driven it could go 400 km with a 40 kWh (usable) battery
OK, OK lets not get carried away here. Myself i tried to drive slowly and carefully back in 2014 and;
a. I would immediately became road hazard as everyone wanted to overtake me;
b. there are so much hills near me that even driving slow cost about the same energy;

I recommend at least the same emotor power into the car that the dinosaur juice eater had before.
Aerodynamics is really good with some cars and A2 being a bit illogical as it is so high. However it is very light and underside is completely closed. We have seen what that would accomplish in Prius and Ioniq.
I read about Audi experimenting with some fish shape when designing A2 :).
geduxaz

Post by geduxaz »

I have some A2s waiting... Have not build a garage yet :(
sorry if i missed. what motor you will use for these? Prius Gen2? these are really cheap :)
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

will we be seeing a Prius Gen 2 motor/inverter mounting kit for the Audi A2 in 2024 ?
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg