Smart 453 EQ with different battery

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
mitch

Smart 453 EQ with different battery

Post by mitch »

Hi,

I'm building an EV campervan and I'm using the remains of an electric Smart for the drivetrain. It all works with the original battery but the range is not all (80km 17,6 kWh). So I'm installing a different battery pack. I want to use emus BMS and ID3 modules but want to know if this will or is able to communicatie with the rest of the Smart. Basically it's a Renault (twingo 3) but not really a ZOE. Anyone tried to do something similar maybe, because the battery works, the inverter sees 337v (18% of the total charge) but the car does not recognise the battery pack.

Thank you, Michiel
mitch

Re: Smart 453 EQ with different battery

Post by mitch »

For now I've found out the following: if I connect the old battery with the car like it was, but without the HV connected, the car will recognise the battery (old one) although the new one is connected to the car by can-bus and HV. And when I connect different parts of the old battery pack, started with BMS, followed bij serveceplug and peripherals and finally the boxes (3) on the battery modules, the car still sees no battery. My conclusion is: I just have to get the voltage of the battery pack (new one) to the inverter and it will recognise it.

But how to do that, that remains the question...

Cheers Michiel