Altering regen on the fly

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
FFMan

Altering regen on the fly

Post by FFMan »

I'd like to able to alter the regen load dependent on several factors, and the only option appears to be via CAN, which implies i need to go to CAN throttle also, which i don't want to do as i like the fact the motor and inverter just operate without any external Arduino etc on their own.

Is it possible to either use a digital pot controlled by my arduino, or simpler still feed the output of an Arduino adc to the regen input on the inverter ?
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Bratitude

Re: Altering regen on the fly

Post by Bratitude »

you can alter regen on the fly with a pot directly. can is not your only option.

parameter: brknompedal / brakeregen

if your wanting to have the Arduino control regen can is the safest
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

Here is the input circuit for the LDU. I think it's the same with you. You can, for example, pull the signal externally with a 10kOhm pull-up resistor at 10V to 5V and lower it with an arduino with a mosfet to ground and PWM as you wish.
LDU filter.png
arber333

Post by arber333 »

FFMan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:52 pm I'd like to able to alter the regen load dependent on several factors, and the only option appears to be via CAN, which implies i need to go to CAN throttle also, which i don't want to do as i like the fact the motor and inverter just operate without any external Arduino etc on their own.

Is it possible to either use a digital pot controlled by my arduino, or simpler still feed the output of an Arduino adc to the regen input on the inverter ?
I use a 5K linear pot to open or close power of regen while throttle is released. This is also handy in winter if ice forms on the road. I simply change pot to minimum so regen is near zero.
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

> I use a 5K linear pot to open or close power of regen while throttle is released

you do this with your hand or is it connected to the brake pedal ?
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
arber333

Post by arber333 »

FFMan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:03 pm you do this with your hand or is it connected to the brake pedal ?
I do this by feel. I use 3/4 turn pot with a small threaded rod inside pot plastic. So i can feel where the zero and final position are. And in between...

I did use the colvern 5k linear pot under the brake. But it seems it soon developed irregular reading in the 30% area, just where it matters...