Isabellenhütte IVT-S shunt Connections

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Alibro

Isabellenhütte IVT-S shunt Connections

Post by Alibro »

Hi guys
I'll be connecting my shunt up soon and wanted to confirm the connections.
From what I've seen on their website the shunt is happy with 12V (14.4V) from the car but I could have sworn I'd heard they need 5V.

I have connected the battery neg to one side of the shunt and the other I have going to the neg contactor in my HV junction box.

I have the pos from the switched side of the pos contactor going to U1 through a 15A fuse.
16928209162674802012318751542294.jpg
Can anyone please confirm if this is all OK?

Thanks
I need a bigger hammer!
catphish

Re: Isabellenhütte IVT-S shunt Connections

Post by catphish »

This looks correct to me. To reiterate:
* One side of the shunt should connect directly to B-
* The other side of the shunt should connect to the negative contactor
* The first small 2-pin input should *both* connect to B+ via a small fuse (it's fine that it's behind your contactor, as long as that contactor closes when charging and when driving).
* 4-pin data connector should be connected to +12V, CANL, CANH, GND. Technically +12V it can accept anything from 5.5V to 40V. 12V is the recommended voltage and it will be very happy with 12-14.

The technical data can be confirmed here: https://www.isabellenhuette.de/fileadmi ... _V1.02.pdf
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

catphish wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:35 pm This looks correct to me. To reiterate:
* One side of the shunt should connect directly to B-
* The other side of the shunt should connect to the negative contactor
* The first small 2-pin input should *both* connect to B+ via a small fuse (it's fine that it's behind your contactor, as long as that contactor closes when charging and when driving).
* 4-pin data connector should be connected to +12V, CANL, CANH, GND. Technically +12V it can accept anything from 5.5V to 40V. 12V is the recommended voltage and it will be very happy with 12-14.

The technical data can be confirmed here: https://www.isabellenhuette.de/fileadmi ... _V1.02.pdf
Brilliant thanks.
I Think the 2 pin plug is supposed to be shorted internally but I noticed today it is recommended they are both connected anyway so will crimp another pin and use it to link both.
I need a bigger hammer!
catphish

Post by catphish »

Alibro wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:07 pm Brilliant thanks.
I Think the 2 pin plug is supposed to be shorted internally but I noticed today it is recommended they are both connected anyway so will crimp another pin and use it to link both.
It is shorted internally, but it's best to wire both wires (especially as it's very small wire and you're fusing it at 15A).
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

catphish wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:26 pm It is shorted internally, but it's best to wire both wires (especially as it's very small wire and you're fusing it at 15A).
Yeah, in the photo you can see I'm using HV Solar fuses to the heater and Charger so potentially with the heater and dc to dc operating I could be drawing close to 15A. I may even change to 20A fuses.
The cable is 2.5mm flex but the pins are small so maybe I should use a 3A inline fuse in the wire.
I need a bigger hammer!