selling converted car

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
andybpowell

selling converted car

Post by andybpowell »

So as per the subject my Z3 is 95% finished just some tidying and retrimming to do, like most people here I'm doing this for fun but the issue lies in working space I don't have enough for a new project so would have to sell my Z3 so the real question is how difficult would it be to sell a converted car what specific problems would arise
I'm not sure that's what I want to do just yet but I'm considering it and I wouldn't even know what value to put on it the amount of man hours is obscene I'm retired and I've literally spent the last year doing this conversion but it's not about profit if I got somewhere over what it's cost in vehicle purchase and parts to fund the next project I'd be happy the car is mot'd and registered electric so theoretically it should be no differant to selling any other modified car
So any thoughts ?
catphish

Re: selling converted car

Post by catphish »

I'm in very much the same position. I finished my VX220 build and have enjoyed driving it, but I really need the space back. It's excellent mechanically but could use some cosmetic work (which never really interested me). I have no intention of providing any warranty when I sell it, and consequently I don't expect to get compensated for my time, but it would be nice to get back all the money put into it.

I agree that it's much like selling any modified car, which just means a very small pool of potential buyers.
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

I know what you mean about the cosmetic work it's tedious but I'm determined to finish completly I've even spent 4 hrs today cleaning and resealing the ragtop
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

catphish wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:13 pm I agree that it's much like selling any modified car, which just means a very small pool of potential buyers.
Its also a fact of modifying cars that you almost never get back what you put into it. Both me and my brother have ended up breaking a few of our modified ICE cars over the years, because the parts were worth more than you could get for the complete car.

One thing going for you is that commercial conversions are extremely expensive, so for someone looking to buy/convert a car without the skills to do it themselves then buying something like this will be appealing. Though lack of support would be a counterpoint to that.
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

Aragorn wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:08 am Its also a fact of modifying cars that you almost never get back what you put into it. Both me and my brother have ended up breaking a few of our modified ICE cars over the years, because the parts were worth more than you could get for the complete car.

One thing going for you is that commercial conversions are extremely expensive, so for someone looking to buy/convert a car without the skills to do it themselves then buying something like this will be appealing. Though lack of support would be a counterpoint to that.
Yes I completly agree it's very rare that you get back what you put in and someone would need a certain level of knowledge to be able to fault find any issues that arise in such a vehicle but maintainence wise it would be simpler
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I'd only sell a converted car to a friend or someone who 100% understands how to fix it. Otherwise I think you'll spend hours supporting/fixing a car that you no longer own.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

johu wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:13 pm I'd only sell a converted car to a friend or someone who 100% understands how to fix it. Otherwise I think you'll spend hours supporting/fixing a car that you no longer own.
Maybe but you're making the assumption that it will be unreliable and the only issues that I've had have been during the build all caused by me admittedly it only has 500 electric miles so far but I use it every day with no issues but at the end of the day it's no differant to any other modified vehicle
arber333

Post by arber333 »

andybpowell wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:36 pm Maybe but you're making the assumption that it will be unreliable and the only issues that I've had have been during the build all caused by me admittedly it only has 500 electric miles so far but I use it every day with no issues but at the end of the day it's no differant to any other modified vehicle
My experience with DIY stuff is that if it lasts more than a year it is good for more. Normaly those consumer components will not last more than a year (or less) in the harsh automotive enviroment. If you use automotive components predominantly then you are mostly good...
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

arber333 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:38 pm My experience with DIY stuff is that if it lasts more than a year it is good for more. Normaly those consumer components will not last more than a year (or less) in the harsh automotive enviroment. If you use automotive components predominantly then you are mostly good...
I've used as much oem as possible :)
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

andybpowell wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:36 pm Maybe but you're making the assumption that it will be unreliable and the only issues that I've had have been during the build all caused by me admittedly it only has 500 electric miles so far but I use it every day with no issues but at the end of the day it's no differant to any other modified vehicle
No no, totally not (although in my conversions maybe yes ;) ). I'm just thinking if you've got your OEM EV and something doesn't work you drive to your dealership or some garage and they'll fix it. But they won't fix, say, a corroded connector in your conversion because they don't even know where to start looking.

I've lent out my Polo multiple times and quite often it didn't go too well
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

It's definitley something of a minefield and the market will be small but if sold with sufficient information software, wiring diagrams and specs then I can't see why not but currently it's not up for sale it's just something I'm considering
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Renting a conversion out to get it onto someone else's yard, for enough money to cover wear and tear, could be an interesting option.

Personally I have almost infinite space so the only reason I'd be doing it would be to free up cash for another project.

It's also a good question when starting a conversion: Can you make a conversion so reliable that you could give it warranty?
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

i definitely wouldn't want to sell a converted car, just remember what happened with the red arrow and the batteries!
as johu said selling to someone that you know who would understand how it works is probably the best option.
as with all modified cars they are normally wort only a fraction of the bits you add to them unless the right person turns up, you only need to look at diy electric car forums and see how much old projects actually go for
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪