Starting the IGBT from the Leaf 1 inverter

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Daniel

Starting the IGBT from the Leaf 1 inverter

Post by Daniel »

I want use electric motor also from Leaf 1
20191104_203717.jpg
20191104_201145.jpg
I can't find datasheet for IGBT from Leaf 1 so I don't know where are GTOP, ETOP, GBOT, EBOT
I made measurements and I drew a diagram
20191121_192521.jpg
My inverter from Leaf 1 is after bathwater in saltwater in sea so I can use only IGBT
Daniel

Re: Starting the IGBT from the Leaf 1 inverter

Post by Daniel »

I think all the time how to determine where the points are GTOP, ETOP, GBOT, EBOT
I made measurements but are illogical to me and unstable. For example, A1 means resistance between connector A and 1
20191123_212835.jpg
20191123_213127.jpg
Can I please about measurements igbt half bridge module which is below for comparison
Free-Shipping-SKM150GB12T4-POWER-IGBT-TRANSISTOR-100-new-original-Genuine-IGBT-Module-Half-Bridge-232A-1200V.jpg
igbt_module_schematic.jpg
igbt_module_schematic.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Do you now for the +, - and OUT are (3, 2 and 1 on the depicted Semikron module)? If so you can now find where these pins show up on the smaller connections. EBot= "-", ETop = "OUT". The gates will be pins that don't seem to connect to anything.
So you can hook up the brick to a lab power supply and feed a few volts to OUT (positive) and "-". You can find the gate by applying like 12V to the small pins until your lab supply shorts out.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I found pins, please about checking correctness. What are the other pins for ?
20191123_213127 - Kopia.jpg
Why when I took the voltage from the gate the bulb switched off (first transistor is broken) ?

Why the lower transistors conduct less voltage (the bulb shines darker) ?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Not sure why they conduct differently. Maybe still some salt water remainders?
There should also be a thermistor in each module, isolated from the other pins. I would expect a couple of kOhms between some pin pair.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I connected IGBTs to Gate Drivers
20200119_205903.jpg
After a short worked, each SI8261BBC for TOP side failed and Gate Drivers began to draw large current 0,3A -0,6A each one separately.
After replaced SI8261BBC draw current is ok and signal is probably correct.
But I ask myself why there was a malfunction
Do I have to adjust Gate Driver to IGBT ?
Do I have to change any components from BOM ?
Or maybe my IGBT is damaged ?
Johannes, what do you think about it ?
BOM Gate Driver.png
Before replacing SI8261BBC, Gate Driver 1 output, (yellow - G TOP, GND - E TOP), (green G BOT, GND - E BOT) (IGBT disconnected)
gate output 1.png
After replacing SI8261BBC, Gate Driver 1 output, (yellow - G TOP, GND - E TOP), (green G BOT, GND - E BOT) (IGBT disconnected)
cykl igbt.png
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I connected IGBT to Gate Driver in several ways but it probably doesn't look good.
I think that my IGBT is broken or the Gate Driver is wrong adapted to Nissan IGBT.
What Do you think about measurements below ?
Could anyone borrow Nissan IGBT, or maybe anyone had similar problem ?

Gate Driver 1 output, (yellow - G TOP, GND - E TOP), (green G BOT, GND - E BOT) (IGBT connected)
zmiana podłączenia do igbt driverów z pin 3 na 2.png
podłączone tylko jeden tranzystor igbt  pod pin 3 jak pierwotnie.png
po podłączeniu tylko jednego transystora igbt i zamieniony pin 3 z 2.png
out driver po podłacz igbt.png
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Daniel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:34 pm I think that my IGBT is broken or the Gate Driver is wrong adapted to Nissan IGBT.
What does your fault pin says?
Usually those transistor modules have safety pin installed that signal the drivers to stop PWM. Do Leaf IGBT modules have error pin on them or is it located on driver board?

Long ago i built myself an IGBT tester from one of Damiens boards that have driver chips with desat and fault protection. I connect them to 5V supply and signal IGBT to open. On the back i have a LED connected to Fault pin. If IGBT was bad LET would stay lit and driver would not allow PWM to pass..
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

arber333 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm What does your fault pin says?
I have only hicurof error
Device Status - resolver connected without calibration, because I have stoped in this place
During Run Mode
current.png
During OFF and in next step Run Mode
errors.png
errors.png (3 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
(Current channel 1 or 2, respectively, is below 1.23 or above 2.06V when no current is flowing. Check wiring and voltage dividers)
I made measurements on Main Board V3:
IL_1 - 1,628 V
IL_2 - 1,639 V
So Why I have errors ? I don't understand.
arber333 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm Usually those transistor modules have safety pin installed that signal the drivers to stop PWM. Do Leaf IGBT modules have error pin on them or is it located on driver board?
I don't know where IGBT have safety pin installed, I found only GTOP, ETOP, GBOT, EBOT
I think that Leaf IGBT modules have not error pin on them, error pin is located on driver board
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Hm... maybe you should swap your current sensor wires. When i designed my new board i setup current sensors on STM32 pins the same way they were connected in ACIM controller. But now FOC code wants to see sensor reaction from certain pin. If that does not happen brain trips error.
I solved this with swapping current sensors in software with parameter "pinswap". I think Johannes had a similar problem.

Hm... why exactly did you take driver board off Leaf IGBTs then?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

arber333 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:02 pm Hm... why exactly did you take driver board off Leaf IGBTs then?
I have several first generation inverters after bathe in the ocean, so I was hoping to use modules IGBT.
I think that, I should buy Nissan inverter first or second generation.
I have Nissan engine first generation, so maybe I should buy Nissan inverter first generation because the motor connector is the same.
What's the difference between Nissan inverter first and second generation ?
Is it worth to modify the connections for the second generation inverter ?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

No I don't think Gen1 motor is any different from Gen2. I was able to run gen1 motor with GM Volt inverter. I am thinking of adapting VW Golf inverter...some day.
Someone is trying to make prius inverter work with Leaf motor for sure.

I think you could get any inverter to run Leaf motor, as long as control mechanism would work.
slow67

Post by slow67 »

arber333 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:14 pmI think you could get any inverter to run Leaf motor, as long as control mechanism would work.
X2. Its just a 3phase synchronous motor with a resolver. Super common as far as PMSM motors go.