How to seal leaking alu battery cell body

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
m.art.y

How to seal leaking alu battery cell body

Post by m.art.y »

Several of my VL41M cells have electrolyte leaks through the bottom - somehow tiny holes appeared. Other than that those cells work as normal so far. Wonder how to seal those leaks? Is there some cold welding alu paste or something? Tried epoxy but the seaping electrolyle ate through it before it had a chance to cure. Soldering? Welding? Any advice appreciated.
arber333

Re: How to seal leaking alu battery cell body

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:47 am Several of my VL41M cells have electrolyte leaks through the bottom - somehow tiny holes appeared. Other than that those cells work as normal so far. Wonder how to seal those leaks? Is there some cold welding alu paste or something? Tried epoxy but the seaping electrolyle ate through it before it had a chance to cure. Soldering? Welding? Any advice appreciated.
Electrolyte is based on acetone solvent so it burns. No soldering and welding...
I would suggest you turn those cells around so you dont fight gravity. Then use nitro to clean the surface. After it is clean use duct tape to wrap those cells on the underside. It will work for some time but not forever.
What you would need would be to paint the casing in thick resistant primer coat.
Or maybe make a new tight alu case to enclose the cell...
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Or flip around and then epoxy maybe in combination with allot sheet?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

EV_Builder wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:51 pm Or flip around and then epoxy maybe in combination with allot sheet?
Allot sheet? Do you have a link/picture? I tried just epoxy but seeping through electrolyte ate through it.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:05 pm Allot sheet? Do you have a link/picture? I tried just epoxy but seeping through electrolyte ate through it.
Yes problem is acetone which is in the electrolyte. It will dissolve epoxy hardener before reaction sets in.
Also it will probably not help. Maybe you can try using sika or similar glue/filler. I think the black rubber glue for gaskets is a good choice....
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Alloy i mean / Aluminum. It's easy to fold.
Yes the black window gasket filler might do it.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:40 pm I would suggest you turn those cells around so you dont fight gravity. Then use nitro to clean the surface.
What is nitro by the way? Thinking what would be the best way to remove this crystalised electrolyte residue before I attempt some sealing..
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:11 pm What is nitro by the way? Thinking what would be the best way to remove this crystalised electrolyte residue before I attempt some sealing..
Nitro cleaner
https://www.multichimica.com/product/ni ... nner-1900/