Model 3 PCS Not Pulling Full Power Available

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Model 3 PCS Not Pulling Full Power Available

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I recently discovered an issue with my PCS, and I can't figure out what I have wrong.

At multiple stations now, regardless of the power available from the station, the PCS will only accept 1.67-2kW max. I've attached a screenshot of the parameters and spot values, and I can't figure out when is possibly wrong. Do I have a setting wrong, or could it be a bad PCS? I haven't had a chance to do any data logging of the issue yet, but can probably do so this weekend.

The spot values say that's all the power available, but the station has said there was more available (most often 6.5kW or so).
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 10.14.14 AM.pdf
(295.41 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Model 3 PCS Not Pulling Full Power Available

I did additional testing this weekend. I tested at 4 different stations, 3 of which said they had 6+ kW available, but on the PCS web interface, it said only 2kW available.

Is there something that could be causing the PCS controller to misinterpret/misread the power available signal?

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Are you saying the "evselim" of 32.65A is not correct?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
P.S.Mangelsdorf

johu wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:16 pm Are you saying the "evselim" of 32.65A is not correct?
No, the powerac is incorrect. Here is a screenshot from this weekend.
IMG_6070.PNG
It's seeing 242VAC, 32.65A, which works out to 7.9kW, which matches the station's reported 7.8kW available, but the PCS will only draw 2.09kW.

I've seen this at every Level 2 station I've tried. The station says it has 6kW or 7.8kW, appears to have the correct amperage available, but the PCS thinks there's only 2kW available, or will only draw 2kW. This is true across brands. I saw it on Chargepoint, Siemens, Juicebox, Eaton.

Below are my settings:
IMG_6067.PNG

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Ok I've tested this over and over and over now. The PCS controller sees the correct amperage available, correct voltage from the station, but on any stations with more than 2kW, it still always comes up with 2kW available.

I don't see any issues with my settings. Any thoughts?