Peugeot 406 CoupE (D9) with Leaf ZE1 stack

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
mnmn

Peugeot 406 CoupE (D9) with Leaf ZE1 stack

Post by mnmn »

Hello great Community :)

I am very amazed by the knowledge, which can be found in these forums.

I decided to convert my Peugeot 406 Coupe, made by Pininfarina in Turin.
She is from 2005, D9 model, member of the "Ultimate Edition" series. (The last 2.000pieces)
Kertben.jpg
The HDi heart will be changed to a Leaf ZE1 110kW motor (+inverter + PDM), but the battery is still not decided...

In the final version, I will remove the manual transmission also, and use a solution like Arber have in his Coupe, but it seems, that at the start it will be easier to get "Hungarian TÜV" approval, if the transmission is original, so a coupler will be also needed.

Before the build can start, I have to register her here in Hungary, because she lived in Austria.
I already have the ZE1 stack (motor+inverter+PDM+gearbox+driveshafts+HV cables).

Arber will give me one of his CAN-DUE shield, so I will start learning the send CAN commands to the parts with that. And I will take long CAN logs from the Coupe still before the "rip off", hoping, that later, if a warning message pops up, I can figure out, what is missing :)

The battery in my dream would be built from the VW ID modules, the 12S version with 62kWh, because it is very easy to handle and to cool. But it is quite rare, therefore quite expensive...

I would be able to buy Kona 64kWh pack, which was replaced by the manufacturer (not from a salvaged vehicle), and this battery would be really very cheap, but of course, there is the "risk" of fire... Not the best solution, but cheap, and it can be replaced later, when the ID modules get cheaper... However, it needs much-much more planning and "manufacturing", to get in the car.
As far as I know, the communication with the BMS was already solved here, so that would be pro for the Kona battery.
Please share your thoughts about the battery "problem" :)

I was amazed, when I read here, that the CCS charging is also possible, so I bought a CCS kit (with a couple of other EV parts) from Zapatero, who has abandoned the Subaru project.
And I really want to use it, not right at the start, but also not too far away in the future :)
So good battery cooling is a must...

Regards,
Norbert
EV-FAN
mnmn

Re: Peugeot 406 CoupE (D9) with Leaf ZE1 stack

Post by mnmn »

The ZE1 drivetrain arrived:
LeafMotorGarage.jpg
EV-FAN
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

I'm curious, what is amber's solution you mention?
mnmn

Post by mnmn »

Jacobsmess wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:00 pm I'm curious, what is amber's solution you mention?
Arber=arber333 an "old fellow" here, he has already converted a 406 Coupe to electric.
However, his electronics is just for the start, and later I might buy ZombieVerter, or choose other solution... That's not clear now.

I need to decide about the battery soon.. that's not easy.
EV-FAN
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Jacobsmess wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:00 pm I'm curious, what is amber's solution you mention?
I am working on ESP32 based VCU which should be universal.
I already use one such basic VCU as BMS master and the other is there to control aux systems in my car.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... ms-master/
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... esp32-vcu/

I am now working on more advanced dual CAN version that could serve as Chademo controler as well as more complex universal controler that could run Leaf system or Outlander system via CAN.
There is also another experimental version with 12bit analog chip for current sensing and voltage in the works. This i intend to code with the same output as ISA shunt uses. Should provide lower cost and more integrated BMS solution.

I see Bigpie is ahead of me in coding the esp32 chademo interface, but this really takes much development off my back. There is even rudimentary wifi interface,,,
viewtopic.php?t=3454