Zombie or Logic Board for Gen 2 inverter?

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
JPack

Zombie or Logic Board for Gen 2 inverter?

Post by JPack »

Hey everyone I am diving into an ev project and had some questions on which control unit to go with. I would like to still utilize the Leaf charge and potentially the BMS. I do realize the Logic board will have nothing to do with those. I have a complete donor car to cannibalize and use all necessary parts. Power output is one of the most important factors for me. I would like to be in the 120-160kw range or more. I have a few questions about controller options

Zombie VCU:
Can this unit command more power than the stock 80kw?
Can one VCU control multiple inverter/motors for AWD applications?
Is RPM limited to the stock 10,500 rpm of the leaf inverter?

Logic Board:
Can this be ran with the OEM VCU? (can I install this in a stock leaf car and have it function as normal?)
Is resolver coding necessary when switching (mismatched) motors or inverters?
Is there motor tuning require to have it run smoothly
Is there any rpm limitations? I have seen other posts where people have gone 15000+ rpm
Can the battery voltage be increased above the standard pack? (I believe the IGBT's are 600V 600A?)
Can this be controlled with the Zombie VCU and used to deliver more power out of the 80kw inverter (upto 140kw specs say in the logic board description)
Aragorn

Re: Zombie or Logic Board for Gen 2 inverter?

Post by Aragorn »

Zombie:

I would imagine the Zombie controlling the stock LEAF inverter firmware is limited to the stock 80kw. It can only send the inverter the factory torque request messages. The inverter firmware will internally limit said torque requests to fit its OEM parameters. Similarly with RPM.
It can probably be made to operate mutiple inverters, but i dont imagine it will do it out the box unless your sending CAN messages out to another OI unit or something.

Logic Board:
No, the OI board wont talk to the OEM VCU at all. Resolver coding becomes part of the tuning process which will be required using an OI board, though i would imagine parameter sets exist which are pretty close, you'll still need to dial things in for your motor. No RPM limits as such, though you will eventually reach physical or electrical limitations.
and yes, OI can interface with the Zombie VCU. Voltage should also be "free" upto limitations of the actual components. Its probably not a good idea to run close to the IGBT voltage limit.