Inverter options for Lexus IS300H gearbox

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jacobsmess

Inverter options for Lexus IS300H gearbox

Post by Jacobsmess »

Hi, I've picked up one of these for £250 which was affordable enough for me to give it a go but I'm just wondering what Inverter options I have to pair it with?

Obviously the OEM inverter and likely the GS450H inverter would work but are there other inverters? I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum at the moment because I'm a tight ass because I'm still learning about all this stuff.

U-Pull-It likely have Prius inverters for around £70 or thereabouts which would be a very affordable option, and I guess these are dual motor inverters also as the Prius has the same option.

What about other Lexus models? The price between different models can be quite large but I reckon a CT200H would also work, although may be a bit down on power output (perhaps this would be over ridden by using Damien's Zombieverter anyway, I've no idea as of yet.
Pete9008

Re: Inverter options for Lexus IS300H gearbox

Post by Pete9008 »

You might save a bit of money but you will be trading that for uncertainty and time.

Lexus will have spent 1000s of hours tuning the inverter to work with the motor, changing to a different Lexus inverter may still work well, or well enough but it might not (all depends on how similar the motor and resolver parameters are). The only way to find out is to try it.

With the Prius inverter it may be possible to control it with the Zombieverter but I'm not aware of anyone having done it. That leaves you with the option of using an OpenInverter board in it. This might still save you money depending on whether you still need a VCU for anything else. If you go this route you will then have to tune the inverter to suit the motor youself. Well worth a read of Ev8's build thread to get an idea of what's involved here.

Unless you have lots of time available and an interest in doing it I'd stick with the inverter for that specific gearbox controlled with the Zombie. You get an inverter that is well matched to the motor and that should be able to extract all the performance available coupled with a relatively easy implementation path.
Woodfie

Re: Inverter options for Lexus IS300H gearbox

Post by Woodfie »

Link to a L210 transmission bench run on a Prius gen 3 inverter.. a vehicle drive is the next step to establish how usable the low cost gen3 can be in real world running. :)