DVLA Changes on conversion

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
andybpowell

Re: DVLA Changes on conversion

Post by andybpowell »

very few actual physical checks mostly confirming that it had actually been converted to electric and lots of photo's none underneath
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

He crawled under mine and took photos, might not have done had the ground been wet.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

no dvla checks on mine at all
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

So pretty erratic almost as if they don't know what they're doing or there's no actual procedure much like the varied response you get when you try to speak to them
snelly

Post by snelly »

Hi My DVLA checks
Chassis number and motor S/N number, which they did not bother printing it on the log book !!!
motor/diff mount where still made off the original mounts and the battery was made off the original fuel tank mounts.
I think they looked at quality of workmanship on mechanical and high voltage electrical safety, which they could not fault as i used all oem parts
One thing it doesn't had to run at all, as i have not put any can control in yet
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

rstevens81 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:44 pm No Inspection? Yours is a pre 2001 isn't it?
(should of just looked up)
Ill probably do the rivnut thing on smaller holes but poke through a bolt (with big washer on the more useable holes, is my current plan however i keep going in circles with my battery boxes.
I started making battery boxes by welding box section to the desired shape then welding on thin plate to fill the sides in.
It was a pain so I switched to using 2mm plate marked it out with all the sides and cut it as a single piece, I then used a grinder to half way cut through the outside of the bends. Then bent the sides up and weld it all together. Be careful to cut the outside of the bends or the sides will not fold up properly.

Around 7:22 in this video will show you what I did.

I need a bigger hammer!
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:40 pm April 2001 is the date of the change or Y reg or later cant be changed as yet... this may change next april as previously stated that the fuel type and co2 being linked argument will fall over when ev's will have tax
Is the assumption that a pre 2001 vehicle is likely to have a lighter or no inspection?
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

On the topic of the V70, has anyone any advice for how to fill it in?
Section C seems to imply that for a Diesel car built after 2001 I need written details on headed paper from the garage that did the conversion.
That's going to be difficult as I did it myself. :?

Is it possible all we need to do is fill in the changes on the V5 and send it in. Since we cannot change the tax class the V70 form is not really the correct form anyway.
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

So I spoke to the DVLA and the advice I got was utter nonsense.
He started out saying I need to fill in a V10 to re-tax it then backtracked on this when he realised it doesn't need to be taxed.
He said I need a letter from the manufacturer of the engine (motor) and chassis number with the details of it then said nothing when I pointed out this wasn't possible as Nissan were never going to supply this.
A letter from a garage on headed notepaper confirming the new engine details but didn't mention if they had to have done the conversion or not.

So all in all I'm no wiser except that sending in a V70 is probably not necessary and I probably need a letter from a garage :?
I need a bigger hammer!
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

Alibro wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:51 pm So I spoke to the DVLA and the advice I got was utter nonsense.
He started out saying I need to fill in a V10 to re-tax it then backtracked on this when he realised it doesn't need to be taxed.
He said I need a letter from the manufacturer of the engine (motor) and chassis number with the details of it then said nothing when I pointed out this wasn't possible as Nissan were never going to supply this.
A letter from a garage on headed notepaper confirming the new engine details but didn't mention if they had to have done the conversion or not.

So all in all I'm no wiser except that sending in a V70 is probably not necessary and I probably need a letter from a garage :?
I had none of those things
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

andybpowell wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:29 pm I had none of those things
What year is your car. The wording very specifically mentions any car younger than March 2001
This is from the V70
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-11-14 18-29-00.png
I need a bigger hammer!
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

i did a v70,v627/1 and the v894 reply slip they sent me and lots of parts receipts and a couple of letters
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Jacobsmess wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:34 pm Is the assumption that a pre 2001 vehicle is likely to have a lighter or no inspection?
seems to be post 2001 will get accepted (eventually) except they will not change fuel type, pre 2001 they will change fuel type but will send you in lots of circles
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Alibro wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:51 pm So I spoke to the DVLA and the advice I got was utter nonsense.

since we know they will not change fuel type on a post 2001, inform them of the change of fuel type and change saying that you are aware fuel type cant be changed for a post 2001 car (just quote dvla std response) inform them of engine number change and move on (well till march 2024 when the dvla argument that fuel type cant be changed as it is tied to co2 for post 2001 cars expires).

just remember 1 thing death and taxes we cant cheat :)
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

rstevens81 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:10 pm seems to be post 2001 will get accepted (eventually) except they will not change fuel type, pre 2001 they will change fuel type but will send you in lots of circles
so many circles
I sent them the same information about 3 times without changing anything and the eventually sent my updated log book so why not just do it at the start ?
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I read in another forum if you don't get a sensible answer keep trying. Kinda sums them up. But I'll go with sending in the V5 with a letter and see what happens.
Thanks for the replies guys
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

V5 plus evidence of conversion in the post to DVLA
Wish me luck guys, I feel I need it.
I need a bigger hammer!