Increasing the IGBT size on the Prius/lexus inverters to get 650V output for full rpm range

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jacobsmess

Increasing the IGBT size on the Prius/lexus inverters to get 650V output for full rpm range

Post by Jacobsmess »

So, the limiting factor for us with high gearing in RWD situations is that the motor rpm cannot rev high enough to reach motorway speeds (my diff ratio is 4.63!). This means that without being able to achieve the top end of the rpm of the Lexus gs450h/is300h I'm not convinced I can use this motor which is unfortunate given how perfect the GS300H CVT is otherwise.

This led me to thinking, given the current applications bypass the boost stage from the inverter and thus don't get the 650V and presumably cannot reach the rated 14000rpm (l210) and 10000rpm (l110) because the IGBTs are only rated at 100A according to Damian's videos (I'm yet to actually purchase anything).... Would it be as simple as swapping the IGBT for higher current rated units? Would this actually be cost effective? Or am I better off changing my rear diff (provided a lower hearing can be found)?
Bratitude

Re: Increasing the IGBT size on the Prius/lexus inverters to get 650V output for full rpm range

Post by Bratitude »

Short answer, no.

the igbts are bespoke for Toyota, so finding something that fits the case, and runs of the same drivers is going to be a big challenge.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components