Zombieverter and Tesla SDU Openinverter

WeeLee

Zombieverter and Tesla SDU Openinverter

Post by WeeLee »

Hello,

I have a Tesla SDU with the Openinverter board installed but have been following development of the Zombieverter with great interest. Would it be possible to have the Openinverter board control the SDU as normal but also have a Zombieverter onboard to control everything else such as coolant pumps, heating, chargers etc? I assume you'd need to choose a board to be the 'master' to control the HV contactors and set the other board to manual for the contactors or something like that?

Thanks,

Lee
johu
Site Admin

Re: Zombieverter and Tesla SDU Openinverter

Post by johu »

Yes you could just bypass Zombie for the drive functions and connect throttle pedal directly to SDU. DC switch and precharge must be controlled by Zombie because charging.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
nubster

Post by nubster »

I'm also working on an Openinverter Tesla SDU-based conversion and would love to use the ZombieVerter. I noticed in Damien's latest video there's an inverter menu option named "OpenI" and had the same thought as @WeeLee. Is this menu option the correct one for this setup? Do the boards communicate over CAN when configured this way?

johu wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:09 pm Yes you could just bypass Zombie for the drive functions and connect throttle pedal directly to SDU. DC switch and precharge must be controlled by Zombie because charging.

When you say "drive functions," does this include START and DIR signals as well as throttle? Wouldn't the VCU need to be aware of START and DIR status at all times in order to allow charging, or does the SDU notify the VCU over CAN or something? Are there any other caveats/wiring differences? Is support for stock Tesla SDUs on the roadmap at all?

Thanks,
-Nick
allard

Post by allard »

Hi all,

How does Zombieverter, in combination with SDU (or LDU), handle the overcurrent event when it is not aware of the tripmode (=1) setting of the OI board in the DU?

Does it just not open the contactors while in drive mode? Or...

I just want to know for sure before deciding that combination of SDU and Zombiverter is a good choice.

Thanks!
mextavour

Post by mextavour »

For what it's worth, I'm in a similar situation. Am fairly certain that Openinverter SDU board and Zombie VCU can be used together, interfaced with a combination of hardware and CAN control. I recently started messing with openinverter trying to control an SDU, and have ordered zombie VCU. I'll report back on any progress. I plan to get comfortable with CAN and integrating various subsystems on the bench before installing most EV hardware int the car, so I expect to be in this figuring-out-integration stage for a while...
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Would it be possible to make a simple drop-in board for Tesla driveunits and use a zombieverter to control it?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
catphish

Post by catphish »

allard wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:46 am How does Zombieverter, in combination with SDU (or LDU), handle the overcurrent event when it is not aware of the tripmode (=1) setting of the OI board in the DU?
Zombie would not be aware of the error. It will simply leave the contactors closed until you turn the ignition key off. This is the behaviour you want for a Tesla drive unit anyway.