New User Introduction - Building another Boxster

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
WeeLee

New User Introduction - Building another Boxster

Post by WeeLee »

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and give a bit of information about my planned project. My name is Lee and I'm based in the west of Scotland. I've got a 2000 Boxster 986 and plan on putting a Tesla SDU in it. After buying a Leaf I got hooked on EVs and really fancy something sporty that doesn't weigh 2 tons. I have a background in engineering and IT so have no issues getting stuck in with the mechanics or electronics but do have a lot to learn on the HV and Canbus side of things as they are new to me. I've found this forum to be a great resource of information and ideas and hope to be able to give back to it one day.

I've been researching and gathering items for about a year, including:
Tesla SDU - I've installed the OpenInverter board and confirmed the motor spins using a 50V supply.
Volvo electric power steering pump - I've purchased a canbus controller which should allow the pump speed to be adjusted but haven't tested this yet.
Hella electric vacuum pump for the brake booster and associated parts to control it.

I'm aware there is still a lot required but you have to start somewhere. I plan on getting started removing the ICE in July once I've got another project out of the garage.

I'm unsure about what batteries I'll go for as I think it might be better to buy a low kWh pack like the BMW hybrid pack just to get the car moving and learn rather than going all in on an expensive pack from the start. My thinking being it will take time to work out all the kinks and the longer I wait to buy a big pack, the cheaper they will be since new batteries are coming to the market all the time with better capacity/power etc.

I'll start a thread about the conversion in the Projects section once I get started properly and have photos to share.
Pete9008

Re: New User Introduction - Building another Boxster

Post by Pete9008 »

Welcome to the forum :-)

Looking forward to hearing more about the project!
Edwardmatthew

Re: New User Introduction - Building another Boxster

Post by Edwardmatthew »

Hey! Its great to hear about your project. Looking forward to hear more about your Project and best of luck.