Two motors on one shaft

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
pxxmo

Two motors on one shaft

Post by pxxmo »

Good morning gentlemen I have a question. Do two identical ipmsm motors working on one shaft, powered from two identical inverters synchronized over the CAN line, have a chance to add up the power? Anyone have any experience?
Pete9008

Re: Two motors on one shaft

Post by Pete9008 »

Worth having a look at Ev8's build thread. He started off with a DC motor but then swapped to the MG1 and MG2 motors from a RX400h, both on a single shaft. He's getting some pretty good results too!

See - viewtopic.php?t=1414
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Yep like Pete said I’ve done it and with 2 non identical motors, inverter controllers share the throttle input via can, the solid shaft means they become one rotating mass just the torque to accerate or decelerate it is contributed more by mg2 than mg1, as long as the torque request for both motors is in the same direction then there’s no issues, I’ve not tested what happens if you were to request positive torque on one motor and negative on the other, with identical motors I’d expect just heat and noise!

You’ve posted this in the projects section, possibly might be better to ask questions like this elsewhere in future
pxxmo

Post by pxxmo »

thanks for the replies. So I understand that this configuration can be used successfully. This is very good news.