Series Hybrid Concept

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
latitudeone

Series Hybrid Concept

Post by latitudeone »

Been reading around the forums for a bit but hadn't joined till now, looking forward to getting to know the community a little better.

I've been tossing around the idea for a bit now of building a series hybrid drivetrain for a small truck -- specifically an 80's toyota pickup, since I have one and I love it but it needs an update. Deciding on my options for a main traction motor, either it'll be a tesla SDU since I've got a couple or a large AC forklift motor, since its worth less and I think may be easier to mate to a transfer case.
For the generator side I've got a 1.1L Kubota diesel which should be able to make around 40 kw continuous with a turbo and some fuel adustments, should hopefully be appropriate for a truck this size. Unsure what AC motor I'll be using as a generator head, may try to get another of the AC forklift motors.
Could a prius inverter run the traction motor on the MG2 stage and the generator motor on the MG1 stage simultaneously? I hear the MG2 stage has been pushed to north of 300kw peak, which is far more than I need, but I can't find good numbers on the MG1 stage.
Alternatively I could run a pair of inverters, but if they can both run off one that makes my life easier.

For batteries I'm considering either a LTO or Headway cell pack, probably in the range of 12-20kwh depending on my budget at the time and what cells I can get my hands on. Hoping to put out around 150kw peak. I don't need much pure electric range, and that should (might?) be enough batteries to balance out terrain and acceleration loads.

Is this sounding at all sane or feasible? I'm hoping to learn as I go, but I'm pretty comfortable with both the wiring and fabrication involved, main thing that will slow me down will be any programming necessary and the money to throw at it. Would love some thoughts.
arber333

Re: Series Hybrid Concept

Post by arber333 »

latitudeone wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:06 pm Is this sounding at all sane or feasible? I'm hoping to learn as I go, but I'm pretty comfortable with both the wiring and fabrication involved, main thing that will slow me down will be any programming necessary and the money to throw at it. Would love some thoughts.
Series hybrid? How about putting an E motor in the RWD axle and using the original engine as is? So you put it in neutral when driving EV mode and when using gas engine you can put the rear motor in regen mode to top up your batteries. Ground provides connection between both modes if you want 4x4 drive 8-) .
latitudeone

Post by latitudeone »

I do like that concept. The 22RE is an excellent gas engine all things considered, but not quite as efficient as I'd like for this build, and I'd really prefer to be able to run biodiesel. Plus the weight of a motor/inverter & batteries on top of the already somewhat heavy original drivetrain starts to be pretty bulky for a truck this size.
The difference in efficiency from having a dedicated generator motor should be noticeable -- since ICEs are most efficient in a small rpm range, I can maintain that range pretty much 100% of the time, rather than moving in and out of that range using a transmission.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

latitudeone wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:42 pm I do like that concept. The 22RE is an excellent gas engine all things considered, but not quite as efficient as I'd like for this build, and I'd really prefer to be able to run biodiesel. Plus the weight of a motor/inverter & batteries on top of the already somewhat heavy original drivetrain starts to be pretty bulky for a truck this size.
The difference in efficiency from having a dedicated generator motor should be noticeable -- since ICEs are most efficient in a small rpm range, I can maintain that range pretty much 100% of the time, rather than moving in and out of that range using a transmission.
Then may i suggest you just pull the power pack from a Chevy Volt as this design is just about the pinnacle of what you can achieve with your setup.
It can use different modes:
1. EV Traction mode - MG2 is driving the car directly
2. EV Traction mode combined - MG1 and MG2 drive the car at their best efficiency RPM
3. GENSET traction mode - MG1 is generating power and MG2 is taking that power directly to drive the car (or it can up the engine RPM to top up battery somewhat...)
4. EMGCY mode - engine is coupled directly to the wheels via MG1 and MG2 clutches and can provide limited traction (up to 60km/h) in case HV is somehow limited...

This setup IS really bulky to fit into FWD car and heavy. I would think about 400kg for traction pack engine and transmission.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Recently I saw a video by Björn Nyland testing some series hybrid that works in the way you describe. Fuel consumption was no better than a regular ICE car. I wouldn't expect miracles from the setup.
Larger battery and quick charging is unbeatable from an efficiency standpoint but I'm sure you have your reasons for dieseling ;)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9