Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor (Update 11/2022: 160Kw)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Cookie6000

Re: Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor

Post by Cookie6000 »

This is a fantastic motor to convert!
Watching with interest.... I like the adapter plate you have designed. I may have to go the same route on my 80 to get over the subframe as the gearbox and engine drop either side of it. On the matching the clutch plate splines, the 1.6l Fiat Multipla has not been mentioned yet. I remember reading about the fact it fit fairly snug.
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/s ... 026p4.html
Was going to pick one up from the scrapper later this week when picking up some other bits to see if it fits.
All the best with the build!
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Cookie6000 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:22 pm On the matching the clutch plate splines, the 1.6l Fiat Multipla has not been mentioned yet. I remember reading about the fact it fit fairly snug.
it has been mentioned a page back, unfortunately it is rather wobbly (tried it myself)
EDIT: here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=326#p3676
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

I looked into the possibility of a spline cutting tool before. My brother is in the injection molding business and has access to the machine shops. If we are confident that 19,2x21,7x20N is the size, I can investigate further and get some collars made that can be used for other Leaf motor users to fabricate into their own couplers.
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

Well, I just measured the spline again , and I get 19.2 x 21.6 - 20N . Close , maybe it would be good to get someone else to measure it as well !
I also remember reading on a Diy electric car forum that it's a 70 degree pressure angle . They took a close up photo and measured it , and it seemed very accurate to me .Also they said the splines were straight sided , not involute .
Cookie6000 - maybe you could try getting a collar made in aluminium , just to test for fit etc ?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

New Electric have the tooling in Amsterdam... why not ask Lars if he'll share the spline details?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=133&p=1692#p1692
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Unfortunately i'm back where i started... The Volvo clutch has a V-shaped spline and the leaf spline is straight sided.
It's a no fit! couldn't even get it on the shaft!

Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Today i took the engine out and while doing that i realized how much fun it is to think about the complexity of a combustion engine and how much less dirty stuff the electric motor needs :D

And that is what i'm going to put in the car.
20 Batteries will go in the spare wheel space, which i'm going to modify as now there is no exhaust underneath it and plenty of room.
12 Batteries go where the fuel tank was. It's oddly shaped so not a lot of usable room there.
16 Batteries fit in the engine bay right and left of the engine.
All Batteries will be put in specially made aluminum cases for safety reasons.
kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

purplespark wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:14 pm Well, I just measured the spline again , and I get 19.2 x 21.6 - 20N . Close , maybe it would be good to get someone else to measure it as well !
I also remember reading on a Diy electric car forum that it's a 70 degree pressure angle . They took a close up photo and measured it , and it seemed very accurate to me .Also they said the splines were straight sided , not involute .
Cookie6000 - maybe you could try getting a collar made in aluminium , just to test for fit etc ?
Using a cheap and nasty china digital caliper I get 21.63mm for the OD, I could not get the motor into a decent position to get a quotable measurement for the ID. This link may be of assistance:

The Honda plate looks promising to me as it will tighten somewhat after shrink fitting into the adapter shaft. IIRC JB used 0.2mm shrink fit on his Leaf adapter.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Cookie6000 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:22 pm This is a fantastic motor to convert!
Watching with interest.... I like the adapter plate you have designed. I may have to go the same route on my 80 to get over the subframe as the gearbox and engine drop either side of it.
If you want the dxf file for your CAD, i can send it to you. Just let me know!
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

kiwifiat wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:33 pm
The Honda plate looks promising to me as it will tighten somewhat after shrink fitting into the adapter shaft. IIRC JB used 0.2mm shrink fit on his Leaf adapter.
I'm looking around for other clutches that would fit, but i guess i'm ordering the honda clutch disc again as it was the best fit and shrink a tube over it that i will insert in the Rotex GS38 coupler and wig weld it all together!

kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

Zapatero wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 pm
I'm looking around for other clutches that would fit, but i guess i'm ordering the honda clutch disc again as it was the best fit and shrink a tube over it that i will insert in the Rotex GS38 coupler and wig weld it all together!
Well I for one appreciate your efforts in researching a suitable clutch plate as a spline donor :D Thank you.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

In the end my friend took his motor to a machine shop and had them custom made splined adapter to Lovejoy coupler.
The way they made it was hillarious! They cut some sheet metal in exactly the spined shaft shape and made it fit the splines. Then they used special cutting machine to slowly cut the grooves in the new coupler.
Old technique, lots of hours went by, but the fit is exact. Too bad i didnt take that piece to CNC copying station.
Maybe i can convince him to take the motor down so we can copy this design? Anybody has CNC snapshot of coupler?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

@Zapatero: You may consider cutting the rear trunk off from the car and put in a square inox box.
You can fast cut the metal with a grinder or with pneumatic hammer :). You just have to be carefull not to cut the rear carry members and its sheet metal in the trunk. I have done it lots of times and i consistently get a box 800mm by 600mm in. I adapt box height so the bottom is 25mm higher than rear suspension elements axis of rotation. Suspension need to move and rotate a bit. And you neet to get to the bolts for repairs...
I attached the box to chassis by MIG spot welding through the holes i drilled in top flange and the rear side.
I will cover the box in the trunk with wooden lid. Also i am thinking of making wooden frame for the lid to sit on so i can route cables through the wooden sides. It will make the lid a little higher, but box will have even more volume that way.

See the blog at https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/tag/battery-box/
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I ordered a honda clutch again. It's pretty much the same as the 20x22x20N Clutch i had before.
But this one states in the description that it's a tad smaller: 19.9x21,8x20N
Then i'll try to compress it slightly with a shrink fitting. The result should be useable!

Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

arber333 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:07 am @Zapatero: You may consider cutting the rear trunk off from the car and put in a square inox box.
You can fast cut the metal with a grinder or with pneumatic hammer :). You just have to be carefull not to cut the rear carry members and its sheet metal in the trunk. I have done it lots of times and i consistently get a box 800mm by 600mm in. I adapt box height so the bottom is 25mm higher than rear suspension elements axis of rotation. Suspension need to move and rotate a bit. And you neet to get to the bolts for repairs...
I attached the box to chassis by MIG spot welding through the holes i drilled in top flange and the rear side.
I will cover the box in the trunk with wooden lid. Also i am thinking of making wooden frame for the lid to sit on so i can route cables through the wooden sides. It will make the lid a little higher, but box will have even more volume that way.

See the blog at https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/tag/battery-box/
Thanks, great to see your examples! Exactly how i was planning to do this :D :evil: 8-)
the metal works are the easiest part for me as this is part of my job ( www.weltreisewerkstatt.de )
It will get more interesting once i'm at the point where i mess around with the canbus!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

From my side CAN bus was a problem since my car does not use CAN lines. Everything is on VAN bus which is proprietary. So i still have to fool the car by analog signals.
I also have to think and install lines for CAN bus through the car myself.

CAN is really not a problem once you have the IDs and data values.
Well that and various equipment must use similar protocol. For example if some equipment uses extended ID then another which uses short ID wont work on the same bus.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

So that is what you get, when you take the honda clutch apart:

I gave the spline and the Rotex GS38 to my brother in law. He has access to a lathe. He'll put a slightly smaller tube over it to shrink it a bit and then weld it into the coupler.

Meanwhile i've received my adaptor plates:

Next week the coupler will be ready and i'll put the motor into the car. Therefore i'll weld a subframe to attach it to the original mounting points where the Subaru Engine has been.

If someone has a place to make the *.DXF files accessible for everyone i'm happy to share them.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

So you are confident Honda clutch it the best of available?

It would be good to make a copy of splines design so we could have a drawing of the thing when we go and bother machinist to make insert for the Rotex clutch center.
I think the best would be to use an insert along the whole lenght of splines. I speak from experience :oops:.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

arber333 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 pm It would be good to make a copy of splines design so we could have a drawing of the thing
I hate repeating myself but...
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:22 pm New Electric have the tooling in Amsterdam... why not ask Lars if he'll share the spline details?

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Zapatero wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 pm He'll put a slightly smaller tube over it to shrink it a bit and then weld it into the coupler.
Sounds like something Damien would do ;)
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

arber333 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 pm So you are confident Honda clutch it the best of available?
[...]
For me it's the only feasible solution at this moment.

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 pm
I hate repeating myself but...
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:22 pm New Electric have the tooling in Amsterdam... why not ask Lars if he'll share the spline details?

I'm wondering if they're willing to share the CAD files. Usually people wouldn't do that?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Zapatero wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:48 am I'm wondering if they're willing to share the CAD files. Usually people wouldn't do that?
I suspect they won't share the details of their design but they may give details of the splines which seems to be the area people are having problems with. I don't want to do all the leg work myself which is why I suggested asking Lars the question... it's a DM and worst that will happen is he will say he can't help.
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

Silly question time - I have PM'd Lars , but the message appears stuck in the Outbox - am I missing something ? (apart from brain cells :) )
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

message in outbox means unread.
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

Thanks !!