Mitsubishi Outlander rear axle

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
Bratitude

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander rear axle

Post by Bratitude »

evMacGyver wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:52 pm Just wondering is there some standard for distance between flanges/stubs? If replacing VW transmission model XYZ with mitsubishi rear diff with these stubs, will original drive shafts fit lengthwise?
Most diffs are pretty similar in spacing, from the last measurements I took, was about the same spacing as a beetle trans axle.

The joints also have a lot of plung in them, makes up for any minuet differences.

In short stock axles should fit
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

any one have a imiev rear drive unit? from some info gathered, it looks like the axles..maybe the entire unit is the same?
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
WillK

Post by WillK »

Really interested in the answer to this. Just starting to plan my VW T2 conversion and will be either using an Outlander motor with your shaft adapters , or an imiev one if it does turn out they fit.

Comparing driveshaft photos on ebay, the outlander and imieve certainly *look* very similar at motor end.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

WillK wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:36 pm Really interested in the answer to this. Just starting to plan my VW T2 conversion and will be either using an Outlander motor with your shaft adapters , or an imiev one if it does turn out they fit.

Comparing driveshaft photos on ebay, the outlander and imieve certainly *look* very similar at motor end.
from some rough measurements iv received from a customer, so far the numbers match up. same spline count and OD. just the seals and clip ring location are unknown
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Can you guys that already installed Outlander rear motor help me with something?

There is a problem i noticed with motor and gearbox leaking oil. There is a small breech in motor-gearbox seal in position downward when motor is in its OEM position. It seems this was done intentionaly. It could be this port is a simple breather. I could be tumbling the motor in incorrect orientation when handling and some oil went into space between motor and gearbox. Is anyone out there can confirm for me that using the motor in original position doesnt cause an oil leak?

Original motor orientation:
motorscheme.jpg
Some photos of the breather???
20230930_204307.jpg
20230930_201122.jpg
20230930_201109.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Correct, this is gearbox venting.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
arber333

Post by arber333 »

tom91 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:54 pm Correct, this is gearbox venting.
Yes but that thing is facing downwards. I would imagine venting would be oriented to the side or upwards.
Does anyone finds any oil leaking out from the gearbox in the orientation that is in OEM? Or is this just because i had the motor upside down for a long time :)?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

It is up and down, on the gearbox inner its up and the outside case is down. so moving the motor about can cause oil get in the cavity and then move it again and it can then leak out.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
arber333

Post by arber333 »

tom91 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:22 pm It is up and down, on the gearbox inner its up and the outside case is down. so moving the motor about can cause oil get in the cavity and then move it again and it can then leak out.
So it is not a true leak? I wil try to get the motor in position tomorrow and see how i will install it. I will report more...
Turbopete

Post by Turbopete »

I have the motor mounted in the OEM position ( all be it running reversed ) and have had no leaks in just shy of 2000 miles.
Romale

Post by Romale »

I have fulfilled my promise. I disassembled the Outlander's rear motor and counted the pairs of rotor poles using an external magnet. there are 4 of them!!! not 5!
the same applies to his resolver, it has 4 pairs of poles, not 5!

Please convey this information to all interested. in the evening I will try to update the info in the wiki

evil neodymium :twisted:
arber333

Post by arber333 »

tom91 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:22 pm It is up and down, on the gearbox inner its up and the outside case is down. so moving the motor about can cause oil get in the cavity and then move it again and it can then leak out.
Hi folks!
Do you know/have information which gearbox oil can be used for lubrication in Outlander RWD gearbox?
I recorded this information, but i no longer know the source:

Outlander PHEV transmission oil replacement:
60.000KM or when is changing color(red to black)/smell(burned)
Front F1EKA - 3,46L
Rear F1E1A - 0.85L
Use ATF SP III MZ312096K 1L or MZ312096 20L.
Attachments
Outlander RGBX oil change.jpg
bigmotherwhale

Post by bigmotherwhale »

You can probably use any fully synthetic ATF SP3 fluid you can find, I cant imagine it would cause any issues, especially if you change it regularly.
aot93

Post by aot93 »

I used MANNOL MN8209 ATF SP-III and have had no issues.