Mitsubishi Outlander Front inverter

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
nikejamie

Mitsubishi Outlander Front inverter

Post by nikejamie »

Hi guys

I am using the front generator motor with the front inverter for our ev setup.

Can someone please tell me what the connections on the attached pic are.

I need to know where the dv voltage goes and which 3 terminals to connect to the motor.

Thanks
Attachments
01.jpeg
Mitsubishi Front inverter.jpeg
royhen99

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander Front inverter

Post by royhen99 »

FCMU.png
Damien's video at about 6 mins onward.
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

Hi,
I have the same setup in my Triumph spitfire, the generator as a motor and the original inverter. But I got a couple of problems, first the rpm is limited, 1000rpm max one direction and 6000 the other direction. And the max phase current I got was about 230 amp regardless the rpm, the torque reported by the inverter never goes above about 70Nm. The setup as this is usable i a lightweight car but not ideal. I need to start in the first gear because in the second gear the 70Nm is just not cutting it. Yes it's works but very slow. And to go 100kmh I need to go to the 3e gear because I run out of motor rpm. And also I run the setup on 96s and the setup runs original in 80s, is was working on a low soc 96s battery but when I charged the battery the inverter was refusing to work. I needed to change the battery measurement resistor array values to let the inverter think it is measuring a 80s battery.
Last week I put a inverter with is running the openinverter firmware and that gives the motor(generator) is full potential! A can run 400 a 500 amps phase current and also no rpm limit anymore. I can start from 0 in 2e gear now and it goes faster then previous in first. And I can go easy over 100kmh in second gear now. So no chancing gear anymore and a lot more power!
So maybe you get more out of the original generator/inverter setup but then you need figurate out how. I'm curious to see if the motor on this inverter on the motor output has more power and no rpm limit. I have tried to run the inverter on the motor output of the inverter but it's was only very slow with almost no power..
Hope this helps you
seanyt

Post by seanyt »

Interesting post.
If there is a torque and rpm limit for the generator motor portion of the inverter.
Did you try to plug the motor and resolver into the front motor part of the inverter.

The front motor inverter portion should have a 14k(ish) rev limit/ 137nm and 60kw.
Once of course the resolver is locked in the same position as front motor.

I was hopeful the rear motor inverter would allow more than 200nm but now i have my doubts.
When you commanded more than 70nm would it still limit it to 70nm but accept the canbus message.

I've seen the older miev inverters used in miev evolution and they seen to run peaks of 300nm and 100kw power from a similar motor to the rear in outlander.

Same for the outlander baja, they quote more power and torque.
Both versions are using dspace modules for powertrain control.
Again assuming its only canbus controlled replacing the powertrain ecu (the name skips my mind.)
* PHEV-ECU - Gateway
marucha79

Post by marucha79 »

@nathaniel
I have a few questions, because I configuring the same setup - MB V3 and front inverter, but with another motor (SMG 180/120). Do you need still to cheat about a battery configuration (I will use 96s too)? How did you set a dead time value?
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

@seanyt, i have the front motor but because the mounting is different i didn't tried the front motor on the stock inverter. now withe openinverter i have seen 84kw usage on the battery so a lot more then the generator is rated for. so i suspect that the rear motor with openinverter control is also capable of more then the spects are. i have also the rear motor but not yet in a car but it is a lot bigger then the generator so i have high hopes for it! it will of course never be Tesla performance, but for a light car it will certainly be very nice.
i can command the generator 200Nm but it gives only about 70Nm. and the rpm limit is very hard, it just stops when the limit is reached, so your drivetrain doesn't like that either.

@marucha79, i don't know the battery setup of the v3. but is suspect that you need to do the voltage sense "mod" to fool the inverter if you are planning to use the stock control board. I'm not sure if the voltage sensor isolator chip is at its max if you put 403 volts on it without resistance adjustments, you should check the datasheet to see how far it can go. maybe just to be sure just change it.
seanyt

Post by seanyt »

@Nathiel
I was more aiming towards, connecting your generator phases wires and resolver into the front motor inverter outputs/inputs.
Then commanding torque via the front motor canbus coding to drive the generator. Then you wouldn't have these torque or rpm limits you experienced.

I am curious if the OEM inverter for front and rear motor are limited to oem Nm and kW. Of course the newer version allows 70kW from rear inverter with same torque so at a slightly higher rpm. but will they go more!

Yes they are definitely rpm and torque limited over a tesla motor. i would be limited to 180km/h from outlander gearing and rpm limits.
tesla i could push it to 240km/h
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

I had tried to run the generator in the motor output from the inverter but there generator was turning but no torque an very slow response. I guess the resolver or motor spec is a little different. I did not played with resolver alignment or so. Maybe in the next build I give that a try. I will report when I do