Large drive unit board, charger board and orion BMS

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Joxson

Large drive unit board, charger board and orion BMS

Post by Joxson »

Hi!

Im new here and I have some questions.
Im sitting with a P90D rear DU, my plan is to use the board for it! And that part is clear :) But my question is regarding the charger, I saw that the charging board was capable of hadling supercharge(and thats what Im going for). What socket do I choose for the charger, do I have to use tesla socket? Is the tesla charger capable of charging a BMW I3 battery pack?
Also, can the charger and the orion BMS talk to eachother?
Sorry for newbie questions but Im a newbie ;)

Im getting all the parts for my EV conversion of my Nissan 350z right now :D

Best Regards!
Joachim Westerlund from Sweden :)
Best Regards
Joachim Westerlund :)
arber333

Re: Large drive unit board, charger board and orion BMS

Post by arber333 »

Joxson wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am Hi!

Im new here and I have some questions.
Im sitting with a P90D rear DU, my plan is to use the board for it! And that part is clear :) But my question is regarding the charger, I saw that the charging board was capable of hadling supercharge(and thats what Im going for). What socket do I choose for the charger, do I have to use tesla socket? Is the tesla charger capable of charging a BMW I3 battery pack?
Also, can the charger and the orion BMS talk to eachother?
Sorry for newbie questions but Im a newbie ;)

Im getting all the parts for my EV conversion of my Nissan 350z right now :D

Best Regards!
Joachim Westerlund from Sweden :)
Hm...
I think supercharging is proprietary. Tesla car is sending some identifier to supercharging station for it to operate. If you use ID from broken car you may be stuck with cable locked in station. Its been a long time since i researched that, i may be mistaken.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Joxson wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 amBut my question is regarding the charger, I saw that the charging board was capable of hadling supercharge(and thats what Im going for).
The problem with Supercharging is not technical but legal. If you use a Supercharger then you'll be stealing electricity and no doubt get a visit from Elon in a Falcon Heavy ;)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Joxson

Post by Joxson »

aah, I see. But if I only aim for Quick charge on open charging stations? Does that work?
Best Regards
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Joxson wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 pm aah, I see. But if I only aim for Quick charge on open charging stations? Does that work?
If you wish to use the Orion BMS then you'll need to ask them. However, a much better way forward IMO is to use the SimpBMS (here) which will eventually support the open CHAdeMO (here) and open CCS (here) rapid charging efforts 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Joxson

Post by Joxson »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:37 pm
Joxson wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 pm aah, I see. But if I only aim for Quick charge on open charging stations? Does that work?
If you wish to use the Orion BMS then you'll need to ask them. However, a much better way forward IMO is to use the SimpBMS (here) which will eventually support the open CHAdeMO (here) and open CCS (here) rapid charging efforts 8-)
Okay, is it the only the bms that handles quick charge? or is it both bms and onboard charger?

sorry for the newbie questions, I dont have anyone to ask or know where to find info...
Best Regards
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Joxson wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:22 amOkay, is it the only the bms that handles quick charge? or is it both bms and onboard charger?
It really depends on the architecture of the system because all elements will want a say in the rapid charge.

We're still working on the integration of all the open source elements and are months away from a complete solution that a novice can implement. I would therefore recommend that you talk to Zero EV (here) who can offer a complete solution today. I don't know if they have rapid charging but know it's on their hit list 8-)