Hyundai IoniQ 2020 HV battery pack

projectgus

Re: Hyundai IoniQ 2020 HV battery pack

Post by projectgus »

cgalpin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:02 pm Sorry @projectgus for the continued derailment of this thread
No need to apologise! I think at the beginning it wasn't clear how different they would be, but now it seems like they're quite different. The moderators should have a function to actually split the thread, but maybe they won't have the time to do this.
JoeSe68

Post by JoeSe68 »

This *might* be interesting for DIY battery with g-EMP battery pack : https://github.com/dalathegreat/Battery-Emulator
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

If you are talking about the 800V e-GMP battery like in a hyundai ioniq 5 or Kia ev6, yes, but only if you live somewhere you get 3 phase service.

I was initially interested in this, but ran into a couple of hurdles. First, you need hardware that supports CAN-FD to talk to the battery natively, which the current hardware the project is using (LilyGo ESP32 T-CAN485 devboard) does not support. Then the software needs to support it (this can be fixed). But the last straw for me was that I can't find any inverter that can handle this high voltage of a battery on single phase service. I believe there are options with three phase service (like in Europe).
JoeSe68

Post by JoeSe68 »

Guess I was just hopeful as they note that the support for e-GMP is in progress.
The Solax X1-HYBRID-G4 is single phased, and so should do the trick for you :)
But overall I have found it hard to find hybrid inverters w. support for HV batteries - and a lot of those only support up to 400-600 - not 800 (or more).
Anyway I'm walking around the christemastree waiting for my e-GMP (77kWh) and a Solax X3. Getting very impatient here *G*
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

Looking at their website, https://www.solaxpower.com/x1-hybrid-g4/ , the Solax X1-HYBRID-G4 only supports a battery in the 80-480V range.
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

cgalpin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 pm First, you need hardware that supports CAN-FD to talk to the battery natively, which the current hardware the project is using (LilyGo ESP32 T-CAN485 devboard) does not support.
I don't have data either way, but are you certain about this requirement? CAN-FD is backwards compatible with CAN 2.0, and most automotive applications that I've seen only use the "bitrate switch" high speed CAN-FD frames for certain operations like firmware updates where they need to send a lot of data quickly. So it might be possible to do normal BMS operations over "CAN classic"?

The classic controller in the ESP32 will put an error on the bus if it sees a "bitrate switch" frame, but if there aren't any during normal operation then it will interact normally.
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

You know what, let me try again. Originally I had problems and could get no messages at all until I switched to CAN-FD, but in retrospect I did have some bad hardware. Maybe that was it. Will try test later today.

Thinking about it, i wasn't the only one not able to communicate with it until using CAN-FD, but will test again anyway.
JoeSe68

Post by JoeSe68 »

cgalpin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:46 pm You know what, let me try again. Originally I had problems and could get no messages at all until I switched to CAN-FD, but in retrospect I did have some bad hardware. Maybe that was it. Will try test later today.

Thinking about it, i wasn't the only one not able to communicate with it until using CAN-FD, but will test again anyway.
Quite looking forward to the result - thou I have a feeling it will be negative .... :)
cgalpin

Post by cgalpin »

Yeah I couldn't get it to work. I don't have the exact same setup as before, and have not had time to try methodically verify, although so far the only thing that gets me any CAN messages at all, is using a canable v2 which supports CAN-FD, and a recent version of SavvyCAN which has mods to support CAN-FD on a Lawicel device
JoeSe68

Post by JoeSe68 »

cgalpin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:38 pm Yeah I couldn't get it to work. I don't have the exact same setup as before, and have not had time to try methodically verify, although so far the only thing that gets me any CAN messages at all, is using a canable v2 which supports CAN-FD, and a recent version of SavvyCAN which has mods to support CAN-FD on a Lawicel device
Roger that - thank you for checkking Cgalpin :)