Smart Roadster (with Prius Gen3 Inverter and Outlander Rear Motor)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Pete9008

Re: Smart Roadster (with Prius Gen3 Inverter and Outlander Rear Motor)

Post by Pete9008 »

It's been a few weeks so probably due an update. Basically not a lot of progress. Health is gradually improving but that means the house renovation is slowly restarting (and that's taking pretty much all my energy) so any physical build activity is unlikely in the near future.

As always there seems to be plenty of software/firmware to do (I've decided that I need to restructure a chunk of the code to simplify the way the threads interact) but TBH I'm getting pretty sick of software so it may be a while before that happens!
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

So software - still can't face actually writing it but starting to at least think about it again :)

Plan is basically to:
  • Try these ideas viewtopic.php?p=58635#p58635
  • Restructure the scheduler - wondering whether to moving to a single 1ms tick isr in place of the scheduler.
  • Start adding the Roadster engine ECU CAN messages to the CAN module. Undecided whether to keep the existing web interface defined message functions, if they stay they will be moved from the scheduler to a separate dedicated CAN isr.
  • Check through all the VCU code.
  • Update the way FW is done.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I'm the opposite of you. Give me real chunks of metal to throw together and I'm happy . I'll leave you the coding and I'll come along and plug and play 😁
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

RetroZero wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:49 pm I'm the opposite of you. Give me real chunks of metal to throw together and I'm happy . I'll leave you the coding and I'll come along and plug and play 😁
Not realy, I prefer hardware too, electronics hardware or machining, welding, building :)

Was doing electronics as a hobby well before I was 10 but didn't start doing firmware till I had to at work to test the hardware I'd designed! Managed to avoid most software for another 5-10years after that!

What realy interests me is problem solving or creating solutions and it's just too difficult to do that without writing code.

I do find the lower level code to be much more interesting (my higher level coding is pretty iffy) and the only code I do actualy enjoy is VHDL for FPGAs. In some ways similar to software but every single bit of every single variable can change on every single clock cycle (and not neccesarily all on the same clock either). Quite miss doing it although modern tools have taken a lot of the lower level stuff, and so the fun, out of it too.

Looking forward to getting back into the workshop and starting the physical side of the conversion :D.
seb43654

Post by seb43654 »

If you need any help with the CAN bus software side of it I am happy to provide assistance since I am very familiar with the CAN architecture and message on the Smart Roadster!