[WIP] L322 RR Vogue - The beached whale

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
nkiernan

Re: [WIP] L322 RR Vogue - The beached whale

Post by nkiernan »

More Batteries!!!

Thanks to Marty on the forum here, I got hold of a BMW X5 24kWh pack :) Still trying to hunt down shorter length Tesla Model 3 module for the other pack, but in the mean time I wanted a handy smaller pack that was easily controlled and a working BMS option for testing and getting things proven. The BMW packs suit with work by Damien and others on the SBox reverse engineering and then Tom's SimpBMS to keep an eye on things.

This will be used to test the Mitsubishi heater and A/C compressor, and have some Leaf stacks to test with a second Zombie vcu. It may make its way into this project for initial drive tests. I believe the SBox is fully integrated into the Zombie including shunt duties, which would be tidy. Although the SBox component ratings don't look like they'll suit something this heavy without limiting some parameters!

Not far off fitting under the car as it is, but wasn't the intention
Batt_1001.JPG
Batt_1002.JPG

The benefit of the BMW packs, only a couple of hours got lids and casing removed, Tom's SimpBMS and a Nextion display screen connected up, and an Arduino Due running Damien's SBox control sketch. Shout out to Greg for his excellent videos on connecting to the BMW packs too!
Batt_1003.JPG
Batt_1004.JPG
Batt_1005.JPG
Batt_1006.JPG

Actual connector DC voltage matches up with both the SimpBMS report and the SBox controller output
Batt_1007.JPG

First time using SimpBMS so didn't dive into the settings but obviously need to adjust the cell numbers expected. Thanks to Andy and Tom for the tweak needed to allow Simp work with the 12 module X5 pack
Batt_1008.PNG
Batt_1009.PNG
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

muehlpower wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:15 pm did you see that?
Hi Muehlpower,
I did thanks, and I've sent an inquiry. Price per module is too high for me. Others I found won't split the pack. But will keep trying. Thanks
Evkiwi

Post by Evkiwi »

Hi Nkeirnan,

Amazing build, somehow I missed it but I've just read the whole thing in one go. Extremely good quality of work and great detail for us to follow along.

It's like you read my mind, connecting the gs450h to a transfer case for 4wd and using short m3 modules under the floor.

One question for what I'm thinking of doing. I see you mentioned the height of your battery boxes as 224mm. Could you throw a tape over the length and width of your battery boxes please?

Looking forward to seeing more progress soon, Thanks.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Evkiwi wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:16 pm One question for what I'm thinking of doing. I see you mentioned the height of your battery boxes as 224mm. Could you throw a tape over the length and width of your battery boxes please?
Thanks Evkiwi,

The main outer body dimensions of each box are 1395mm x 342mm x 224mm. with the way I've overlapped the lid to the front and back, overall length at the lid is 1450mm.

This is allowing space in the width for the tabs etc on the sides of the battery modules. Could be narrowed approx 30mm if those tabs were trimmed down. It also allows space front and back for coolant and busbar connections. If space was tight and a smart connection detail used, there could be scope to shorten the boxes too.
Evkiwi

Post by Evkiwi »

Thanks Nkiernan,

That's great information,

Definitely subscribed to thus build
nemmi69

Post by nemmi69 »

Really interested in this project as I have an L322 I want to convert. You have done an amazing job. very detailed.

So, do you have an idea on top speed and average distance able to go on a charge?

Hoping to keep the functionality so have you managed to communicate with the L322s ECU?

I am still doing the fun stuff :roll: repairing the rear arches and sill.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

nemmi69 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:09 am Hoping to keep the functionality so have you managed to communicate with the L322s ECU?
That's an interesting question!!! I'll hopefully find out very soon. Have some CAN logs but pretty sure I'll need more before I'm done. Make sure you get your CAN logs!

Is yours a 3.6?
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

Just read through your entire build awesome work there