1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S Electruck  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Gregski

Re: 1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S Electruck

Post by Gregski »

a little teaser...

IMG_9857.JPG
IMG_9855.JPG

"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

more vertical dyno videos (I think YouTube limits us to 60 seconds so I tend to post a bit longer ones, 90 seconds on the_gregski Instagram) a longer format video is being edited as we speak, or I type and you read (you get the idea, lol)

IMG_9862.JPG
IMG_9860.JPG
Dyno roller.jpg
Dusty On The Dyno.jpg

"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

122 hp @ 42 mph using only one motor not both (on a 60% charged battery pack)

219 ft-lbs torque (this was estimated since we had no useable RPM signal)

CAR SPECS
  • 3,200 lbs vehicle weight
  • 1.9 CVT Transmission gear reduction
  • GM 12 bolt rear end 3.73 gears
  • 7.087 total gear reduction
  • 215/65 R17 tires (28" tire diameter)

LESSONS LEARNED
  • at this time Electric Vehicles can not provide a tach RPM signal output to the dynos, not even the OEMs like Tesla and Rivian (their sh!et is locked down)

we used a Dyno Jet 223 XLC

224xlc.jpg
HP Curve.jpg
jrbe

Post by jrbe »

Gregski wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:13 pm 122 hp @ 42 mph using only one motor not both (on a 60% charged battery pack)

219 ft-lbs torque (this was estimated since we had no useable RPM signal)

LESSONS LEARNED
  • at this time Electric Vehicles can not provide a tach RPM signal output to the dynos, not even the OEMs like Tesla and Rivian (their sh!et is locked down)
The dyno should be able to calculate rpm if you input the gear ratio. But if the tires slip or it shifts gear it's thrown off of course.

Are you shifting the transmission or just fixed?
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Would be interesting to compare to a higher state of charge run, see if the Toyota derates current at higher Soc to provide a constant power level throughout state of charge, pretty sure the leaf inverter does this when controlled via can,
Those of us running oi controller boards certainly gain power with higher Soc
Out of interest what was your peak current and voltage during the run? How many kw electrical became 122 hp?
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Vehicle RPM Hook Ups with Dynojet Automotive Dynamometers

this video goes over the five different ways you can send RPM signal from the vehicle to the dynamometer (maybe two of these could work for the EV, what do you think?)
  1. Inductive Pickups (this is the method we already tried and it did NOT work)
  2. Optical Pickup
  3. EZ-RPM Module
  4. OBDII Data Link
  5. Calculating RPM

Dyno Optical Pickup.jpg
Dyno Calculating RPM.jpg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Interesting.

Doesn't really... tell you anything. You have a small battery pack, and it was discharged. Stupid Costco.

That's equivalent to dynoing a car and not pushing the gas pedal all the way. You get an answer, but the answer doesn't mean much.

Should've asked them to hop in a truck with a tow rope and tow you around for 10 or 15 minutes while you hold the regen down.

Actually, you don't have any BMS or thermal knowledge of your battery pack so, really pushing your vehicle at all at this point isn't a smart idea. Last person that did that burned his Miata down on a spirited hill climb.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

jrbe wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:40 pm The dyno should be able to calculate rpm if you input the gear ratio. But if the tires slip or it shifts gear it's thrown off of course.

Are you shifting the transmission or just fixed?
I am not sure if you mean shifting shifting as in through the 6 "fake" gears like in this video, or shifting between High and Low gears, either way no I am not doing either, it's just hard coded to High Gear in the VCU and we put it in Drive and let it rip potato chip !!!

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

just an electric truck doin' truck things

IMG_9883.JPG

overcast is a wonderful time to shoot sum fotos, wouldn't you agree (watch out the Internet might implode if you do)
IMG_9881.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

so... Final Goal of 2023:

put on 1,000 Shake Down Miles on the truck !

30 EV Miles.jpg

about 150 more to go (been driving it since August so 5 months ago)

IMG_9960.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Dusty made out like a bandit this Christmas, thank you Santa !

IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Huh, did better than my Freelander. 😕
I need a bigger hammer!
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

well that is lookin' smart
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG

and may the inventor of these hollow dished nuts burn in ___________ !!!
IMG_0181.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

I'm just sayin'

Tesla Fire.png
IMG_9342.JPG
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I think the stats would suggest your safer in a leccy car than a petrol or diesel one.
From both fire and accident.
Maybe not so much yours or mine :? but leccy cars in general.
I need a bigger hammer!
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

found this handy graphic of types of fire extinguishers so I thought I would share

fire extinguishers.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

alright, enuff of this tomfoolery, and on to Phase II
IMG_0191.JPG

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Phase II - the plan
  1. Lock the input shaft (this forces the second motor to help spin the rear wheels)
  2. Add second BMW 530e 9.1 kWh battery pack (for a total of ... wait for it... 18.2 kWh)
  3. Attempt to install the iBooster [again]
  4. Replace the stock 3.73 rear diff gear with 4.11
  5. Replace the 2.4" Nextion display with a 3.5" (size matters)
  6. Replace the BMW floor mounted throttle pedal with something that hangs
  7. Replace the B&M floor shifter with something not so LOUD !
  8. Code the VCU to shut down the water pump after charging
  9. Automate charging after plugging it in
  10. Replace the Chevy Volt Charger/DC-DC Converter with a Mitsubishi Outlander "Combo" unit

to do list.jpg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Gregski wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:55 pmPhase II - the plan
1000 miles already?

Damnit. I remember last summer when I was racing you to whoever had the first rolling fire hazard. I'm still not mobile.
[*] Lock the input shaft (this forces the second motor to help spin the rear wheels)
What? ... but that's... so easy. That would've been the first thing I did. I actually didn't know that it would even work without doing that, I figured it would've just back-driven the input shaft and huffed and puffed in place.
[*] Attempt to install the iBooster [again]
Hurray. More troubleshooting! Every new failure we learn and document something new.
[*] Replace the stock 3.73 rear diff gear with 4.11
That's only a 10% difference. Is it really worth all that work just to get a 10% difference?
[*] Replace the BMW floor mounted throttle pedal with something that hangs
Should've grabbed a Prius pedal while you were picking and/or pulling.

This is one of those items that is perplexingly hard because of how easy it is. People will say stuff like "Oh, plenty of vehicles use digital pedals these days, any will work." Well I can't go to a store and buy an "any'. I can't go to a junkyard and remove it from an "any". It's common enough people don't want to list what makes/models because it feels wasteful, but not common enough that someone who didn't know exactly what to look for wouldn't waste most of their time and be frustrated.

I feel like it would be better to say "Dozens of vehicles use these. Here's 6 of the most common vehicles sold that are already 10-15 years old in junkyards to take them from, each is a little different depending on what you'd like, all will work." That's something someone can ask for, shop for, or look for themselves.

The only reason I have a Prius pedal is because it was literally the only vehicle anyone listed by name that had a suitable pedal. Maybe it's the worst of the options available, maybe it's the best. I don't know.
[*] Replace the Chevy Volt Charger/DC-DC Converter with a Mitsubishi Outlander "Combo" unit
Ooh, I'll be following that closely. The Prius inverter has an excellent DC/DC, but it caps at 200-ish volts (caps in both directions, it basically wants to see a Prius battery or it has a tantrum). There is otherwise nothing capping me at 200v, and that affects my fast-charging ability, to whatever degree I'd want to do that. Likewise I don't have a charger solution other than a temporary variac or a poor man's charger. I suspect most of the time I'll be charging from 120v not 240v, so the Prius buck charger won't swing it.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Well done on reaching at least one of your goals. So far I've driven over 500 trouble free (mostly 8-) ) miles so still a bit behind you.
As for the pedal you might consider a Landrover Freelander pedal. I'm not sure about the V6 petrol cars that were sent to the US as they may use a cable and throttle body but my diesel Freelander pedal worked with Damiens software without any changes as did the rev counter control. At the time it was built Landrover was owned by BMW so the CAN is BMW and the pedal too it seems.
I need a bigger hammer!
barracuda816

Post by barracuda816 »

A really fantastic project greg and really enjoy the videos you post. Congrats on the progress so far.

I notice one large thing missing off the list, a BMS. What are your plans with this?

Kind regards, Luke
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

barracuda816 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:31 am A really fantastic project greg and really enjoy the videos you post. Congrats on the progress so far.

I notice one large thing missing off the list, a BMS. What are your plans with this?

Kind regards, Luke
oh wow, thank you kindly, BMS is the second item on the list in Phase III (circa 2025)

Something to think about: 100% of production OEM electric cars that caught on fire had BMS !
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Gregski wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:00 pm oh wow, thank you kindly, BMS is the second item on the list in Phase III (circa 2025)

Something to think about: 100% of production OEM electric cars that caught on fire had BMS !
HAHA! I bet every other EV WITHOUT BMS eventually caught fire or destroyed its battery eventually...
All it takes is one day of inattention when you drove further than intended and you just have to get home...
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

well sh!t, I guess now I'm an influencer, check out the link in the description:

Check youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U40DbI6NxU

eBay Listing With My link 1.jpg
eBay Listing With My link 2.jpg
MattsAwesomeStuff

Gregski wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 pmwell sh!t, I guess now I'm an influencer
Well, there's two times in your life when a guy might be living with his mother. One is when he's young and hasn't become a man, and the other is when his mother is elderly and needs taking care of.

The good news for your mother is, now that you're an influencer, you'll be required to move back in with her immediately and she'll get to spend a lot more time with you.