1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S Electruck  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Alibro

Re: 1971 GMCe Lexus GS450H BMW 530e Tesla Model S Electruck

Post by Alibro »

From the photo they look like little sperm swimming around looking for an egg. :lol:
I need a bigger hammer!
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

Gregski wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 pm decisions, decisions...
Solution: 6 pedal driving.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Jacobsmess wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:14 pm Solution: 6 pedal driving.

message received !

IMG_E4359.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I like the pedal I use, pulled from a Trailblazer, which it looks like you have as one of your options (bottom left).

The benefit is you can easily make a bracket to mount it however far off the firewall you want because of the side mounting. The only downside is the way the footpad rotates on the arm itself. It was weird when I daily drove a trailblazer, and its a bit weird in the car too. It's nice in that you can hold your foot how you want, but sometimes unclear if there is more pedal travel or if its just moving around.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Alibro wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:44 pm From the photo they look like little sperm swimming around looking for an egg. :lol:
how did I miss this epic comment ???

"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

first up was the 3rd Gen Prius 2011 pedal

IMG_4326.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG

those of you following the VW Rabbit conversion may recall we had to trim this Prius pedal to keep it from bottoming out

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

so here's Big Blue, a 2011 Toyota Prius that gave her life so that we could have this pedal, and I have gotten these pedals ranging from for FREE, to $5 dollars on their 50% OFF Sale Days, to whatever they felt like charging me on that day

IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG

I think it is worth sharing how it looked and how it was installed in it's OEM formation:
IMG_0947.JPG

I am tempted to go back to the junk yard and press a few of these down and see if they have a full range of motion when installed or do they bottom out on the carpet, I am 99% certain they bottom out on the carpet and do not have their full range of motion like they do for us on the workbench
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG

this pig tail was a bit odd, it had two plugs on it, so had I known I would not have had to cut it, maybe
IMG_0953.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Gregski wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:47 pmI am tempted to go back to the junk yard and press a few of these down and see if they have a full range of motion when installed or do they bottom out on the carpet, I am 99% certain they bottom out on the carpet and do not have their full range of motion like they do for us on the workbench
I had an alternative solution. If that's true, it's surely so stupid that many people have complained about it before...

https://priuschat.com/threads/accelerator-pedal.77114/

"The pedal itself apparently has no internal stop but relies on the pedal travel bottoming into the floor carpet. The pedal has a littl protrusion that is what hits the floor carpet appearing to be the design. Is this normal? Several now say no. One service manager says yes its normal."

"If it's not allowed to go all the way to the floor, the pedal would have to have an internal stop mechanism capable of resisting the full pressure that a human leg could apply to it. The mount would have to be equally as strong."

"If the accelerator pedal cannot touch the floor, there won't be "flooring the accelerator", right?"

There's even discussion of Dealer-installed vs. OEM floormats and how you have to customize them to even reach highway speed:

https://priuschat.com/threads/accelerat ... et.210839/

"This means I can't actually use a floor liner because a stiff surface prevents the car from accelerating sufficiently to highway speeds."

"Even with OEM floormats (or no floormats) it seems like when the pedal touches the carpet flooring, I'm a step below maximum throttle. I need to depress the pedal into the flooring itself to achieve maximum throttle"

So, yeah, totally normal.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:54 pm I had an alternative solution. If that's true, it's surely so stupid that many people have complained about it before...

https://priuschat.com/threads/accelerator-pedal.77114/

"The pedal itself apparently has no internal stop but relies on the pedal travel bottoming into the floor carpet. The pedal has a littl protrusion that is what hits the floor carpet appearing to be the design. Is this normal? Several now say no. One service manager says yes its normal."

"If it's not allowed to go all the way to the floor, the pedal would have to have an internal stop mechanism capable of resisting the full pressure that a human leg could apply to it. The mount would have to be equally as strong."

"If the accelerator pedal cannot touch the floor, there won't be "flooring the accelerator", right?"

There's even discussion of Dealer-installed vs. OEM floormats and how you have to customize them to even reach highway speed:

https://priuschat.com/threads/accelerat ... et.210839/

"This means I can't actually use a floor liner because a stiff surface prevents the car from accelerating sufficiently to highway speeds."

"Even with OEM floormats (or no floormats) it seems like when the pedal touches the carpet flooring, I'm a step below maximum throttle. I need to depress the pedal into the flooring itself to achieve maximum throttle"

So, yeah, totally normal.

Superb information as always Matt, I shall add it to our Nothin's Easy List aka the NEL
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

You know that you can just configure where 100% throttle is, right? So even if your pedal would bottom out at 50% travel, you could configure the ZombieVerter to interpret that as 100% :ugeek:
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

crasbe wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:03 pm You know that you can just configure where 100% throttle is, right? So even if your pedal would bottom out at 50% travel, you could configure the ZombieVerter to interpret that as 100% :ugeek:
absolutely

Throttlefication.jpg
Sweet Spot.jpg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

the Prius pedal just didn't blow my skirt up, so with more pedals at my disposal I decided to give the 2010 Honda Fit a go

IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

and this is the state I found that pedal in at the junk yard, nothing but a small scratch on that car, I'm certain it never was raced

IMG_9670.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG
IMG_9674.JPG