Toyota MGR Rear Traction Transaxle

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jacobsmess

Re: Toyota MGR Rear Traction Transaxle

Post by Jacobsmess »

Woodfie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:11 pm I checked with my friend, At this stage, the MGR , housing has not been cut down.
Will update you when any relevant pictures are taken, is not sounding imminent.
When cut down, I guess it would be a comparable size and Kw to the I 3 Rex,
One complication is that the MGR I think drips or mists oil around the windings, to take heat to the outside case, and the oil is lifted to a channel by reduction gear rotation then distributed by spray from the rotor.. I could be corrected on this, was many years have passed.
Is your intention to use this as a generator?
No exploring options for a small motor to couple to the input shaft of a gs300h for CVT control. But I think it will require too much work to couple and is probably bigger than I need for this application.
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

The CVT control of Lexus gs300h L210 to mitigate the higher speed of MG1 out of field weakening would seem like a Plan.
Have considered locking the 3.3 reduction on Mg2, with obvious torque reduction, but if MG1 and Power split combined with input shaft rotation, Electric or other, the 2.6 ratio of MG1 complimation and output driveshaft could be programmed for its max torque at low speed, (sprague clutch to stop reverse direction of input or your additional motor on the input, drawing amps to provide no rotation,so not a power draw???)and control the max MG1 speed to a non detrimental figure of maybe 6500rpm or similar.

BTW, now Have the I 3 REX now spinning on a Leaf gen2 inverter, if that would help.
I wonder of that unit would be helpful for your CVT plan.

This has become a L210 topic, so will post it there to continue.
Attachments
20240129_124235.jpg
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Jacobsmess wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:45 am I've come across a very cheap one of these and I was wondering how easy it might be to modify the body to remove the diff. Has anyone opened one of these up? Looking at the pics it's difficult to tell but I'd be interested to know if it's possible to separate the motor from the diff and make it much smaller.
You could start here: