Toyota MGR Rear Traction Transaxle

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
ZooKeeper

Re: Toyota MGR Rear Traction Transaxle

Post by ZooKeeper »

konstantin8818 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:06 pm I'm pretty shure that resolver calibration plug and three retaining bolts situated on the outside of the MGR is for good reason - to calibrate every single MGR on the production line. That means non of them have the same syncofs.
LOL! See now I was thinking the exact opposite.... so they COULD get them to be the same.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:35 pm Anyone know the thread on the oil drain and level check plugs?
All three plugs are M18x1.5 Length 11mm.
20200902_202707.jpg
20200902_202851.jpg
20200902_203008.jpg
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:35 pm Anyone know the thread on the oil drain and level check plugs?
The filler is M18 by 1.5mm pitch and I haven’t taken the drain out but cant imagine it's different.
P9020721.JPG
P9020722.JPG
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Beaten by seconds :D
At least there's confirmation on that now.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I was just coming back to say I don't know the diameter but definitely measured 1.50 thread count.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

I need to get my eyes examined :(
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Damien has posted an MGR update on patreon;

https://www.patreon.com/posts/too-many-41106869
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:25 pm Damien has posted an MGR update on patreon;

https://www.patreon.com/posts/too-many-41106869
I believe now he is up to design oil cooling. I'm still in doubts of what is most simple, cheap yet efficient way to cool oil.
Heavy duty oil pumps are way too expensive even on ebay and aliexpress. My thought is to glue brass water tubes on the outside of casing in most heated places for better heat exchange.
Jack-Lee

Post by Jack-Lee »

Now anyone could say how the rpm/V is? I really need 600V for reach the 50kW?
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Jack-Lee wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:48 pm Now anyone could say how the rpm/V is? I really need 600V for reach the 50kW?
I have tested at 165v & 7000RPM no load, but have not found any documentation of the ampacity of the MGR, having said that 100A @ 500V = 50kW and the wires appear to be about 8ga.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 pm I believe now he is up to design oil cooling. I'm still in doubts of what is most simple, cheap yet efficient way to cool oil.
My plan, if needed, is to use a universal (low pressure) in-line fuel pump and turn it on with a snap-switch at about 70*C.

B+__fuse____/ ___Pump___B-

:)
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

ZooKeeper wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:39 pm My plan, if needed, is to use a universal (low pressure) in-line fuel pump and turn it on with a snap-switch at about 70*C.
Hot oil most definitely will destroy fuel pump. But give it a try, maybe I'm wrong.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 pm I believe now he is up to design oil cooling. I'm still in doubts of what is most simple, cheap yet efficient way to cool oil.
Heavy duty oil pumps are way too expensive even on ebay and aliexpress. My thought is to glue brass water tubes on the outside of casing in most heated places for better heat exchange.
Why don't we get a MGR working in a car before speculating about oil cooling?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Could an electric power steering pump be used for circulating the cooling oil?
Cheap, plentiful and designed for continuous automotive use.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Mouse wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:22 am Could an electric power steering pump be used for circulating the cooling oil?
Cheap, plentiful and designed for continuous automotive use.
Never thought about it. Great idea. Opel tigra or ford fiesta has got electric pumps. Need to check prices.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

ATF won't hurt a universal fuel pump one bit and the temps involved are not much higher than many areas of the desert southwest in the USA.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Anyone experiencing problems running motors in reverse after successful tuning please set fwkp to 0 and try again. Johannes and I are working on this problem. A full tuning and tutorial video can be expected in about a week.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Sweet! An MGR Project. I don't know if I've ever actually seen one.

The MGR is my backup plan for whey my 260lb forklift motor --> transmission --> old differential just doesn't work properly. It's also maybe my plan for the front part of AWD.

Can't wait to see more on this.

But wait... the criticism!

"This will never hold. It's not designed to be used for more than 0.8 seconds or it will turn into the fires of Mordor!"

I dunno, maybe it melts, maybe it's fine. I really really really want to find out just how badly it may or may not need some limited cooling.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:45 pm Sweet! An MGR Project. I don't know if I've ever actually seen one.
IF my damned car would ever get here, it would be very close to on the road!
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:45 pm Sweet! An MGR Project. I don't know if I've ever actually seen one.
Yeah, just a shame it has to be Damien doing the work once again :(
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm Anyone experiencing problems running motors in reverse after successful tuning please set fwkp to 0 and try again. Johannes and I are working on this problem. A full tuning and tutorial video can be expected in about a week.
Thank you! Will do. Just need to get rid of spider webs all over mt test setup=)
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:23 pm Yeah, just a shame it has to be Damien doing the work once again :(
My adapters for BMW's driveschafts are in production now, but job is always before hobby. And deadlines are long gone :cry:
tom3141

Post by tom3141 »

I’m also in the process of sorting driveshafts for mine. The car is converted already so I should be able to test fairly soon once I have the driveshafts done. I’m not going to worry about cooling unless it becomes a problem. The stock car is 700kg with a 660cc 64hp engine so I’m think it will be fine.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I go away on a 3 week vacation and the MGR topics take off! I'm extra excited to get back to my project. Sadly I'm still on the bottom side of the learning curve and not (yet) able to meaningfully contribute.

On the coolant pumps. I would not run an off the shelf fuel pump with fluids above around 150ºF. I have a feeling the plastics inside most melt around 180ºF. There are dedicated external electric oil pumps people use for remote mounted turbo's. I like the idea on the electric power steering pump. In my case, I plan on using a fan and if needed figure out how to attach some cooling fins.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

I realize this is not necessarily a direct comparison, but the ORNL research suggests two things that are important to remember when adapting Toyota drives for EV use.

See Figure 3.14 (aka Pi ;)) https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/890029

1) The temperature limit of the MG units is VERY high, much higher than normal "engine" temperatures due to presumed "Class H" insulation
2) Higher lube temperature increases drive and thermal rejection efficiency

The publication suggests that the MG units can tolerate 180*C essentially continuously, which is above typical lubricating fluid breakdown temperatures. In fact, rotor temps over 200*C were recorded during testing with no apparent ill effects.