NLG513 charger profiles

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
Peter

NLG513 charger profiles

Post by Peter »

Hi forum. Does anyone have details of lithium charging profiles for the NLG513, or info on where to look please? Thanks in advance. Peter
doobedoobedo

Re: NLG513 charger profiles

Post by doobedoobedo »

I assume you've already looked here? https://www.brusa.biz/_files/drive/10_i ... tomer.html
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi doobedoobedo. Thanks for the link, yes been there and downloaded ChargeStar, it has some basic profiles but none shown for Lithium that I can find. I probably need to set up my own profile, that should be interesting. Thanks once again. Peter
sonachan1

Post by sonachan1 »

Hi Peter, I have a NLG513 also. I haven't found any profiles for Lithium batteries. That said, I was just planning a standard CC/CV cycle which should be easy enough to set up.

The profile setting software can only be described as flakey at best, but once you get it going it seems to be OK. I have it running on an old laptop running windows XP which has a native serial port.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy. That sounds promising, are you running ChargeStar ? What RS232 pins have you used please? All the best. Peter
tom91

Post by tom91 »

What BMS are you running, as alot of them are capable of just controlling the Brusa charger over can bus.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi tom91. No BMS at present, will be adding that at a later date. Not even investigated CAN bus but will have to very soon for my LCD dashboard. All the best. Peter
sonachan1

Post by sonachan1 »

Hi Peter,

The manual's actually not too bad. Here it is if you haven't got it.
NLG5_Manual_EN.pdf
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
The NLG needs ground on pin 1, then +12V on pins 2 and 3 to work.

Pins 11 and 12 are the RS232 lines.

Pin 11 is TXD and needs connecting to the PC 9 pin D-sub connector pin 2 (RXD)
Pin 12 is RXD -> PC Pin 3 (TXD).

Don't forget to common the ground between the charger pin 1 and pin 5 at the PC end otherwise you spend a hour wondering why it doesn't work! :(

Suggest using a terminal program (putty, hyper terminal) to start with to make sure your connection is good. Set it to 19200,8,N,1 and you should get the login prompt. Enter 'monitor' to get in. Then you should see live data.

Once you've got that going, try chargestar. From my experience, it doesn't connect to the charger reliably, so I end up trying various combinations of start chargestar first, then power on the charger etc. until works. Its a bit like having your own time machine to go back a decade or so in computing history!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks Andy. Very helpful indeed. I am going to try using a USB to RS232 adaptor to connect, might as well make life properly difficult :-) Failing that get an old laptop with RS232. All the best. Peter
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy. Did you spot the information about pre-charge? Possible damage to the NLG if that is not adhered to. My battery pack is 230v, with a possible addition later to 280v, not sure if that voltage warrants the pre-charge. I need to re-work my system to allow precharge via my contactors but will be a pain to do, I will have to hack into the inverter control wiring and use the HV output of the NLG to signal via a relay that charging is starting. My vehicle main and precharge contactors are inside the battery box under the car. That was my idea to keep safety at the utmost, therefore you cannot get at the live DC bus without the vehicle ignition on. All the best. Peter
sonachan1

Post by sonachan1 »

Yep saw it. I've currently got a 'garage floor' test rig setup with the relay box from my leaf battery in it. The contractors are connected to switches so I can manually bring them in, including the pre-charge relay.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy. What would we do without garage floors :-) I wired up the RS232 and it worked first time with Putty, again thanks for the info. I used pins 11, 12 and 14. Didnt need to link 1 and 5 and used my Prolific USB to RS232 with a 'tell tale' led unit between the RS232 plug/socket to see if comms was taking place. Will be trying the ChargeStar later so fingers crossed for that too.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy. Did you get the NLG513 to charge ? I am having a problem as mine is showing an error/fault. When I check using Hyperterminal I can see the error as 'SDT Batt VoltHi: ERR' everything else looks ok. Peter
rikohm

Post by rikohm »

I had the same or similar problem, solved it with help from Damiens video..
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi rikohm. Thank you for your reply (and Damiens video), Brusa is now charging after lifting the shut down value for battery voltage. Have you a charging profile I could look at to compare against my set up please ? Thanks. Peter
rikohm

Post by rikohm »

Shure, it's the one that came with the charger (original) and one for 27s3p winston/thundersky and the one I use now 84s winston/thundersky.
But remember that they are based on what i know (or think i know) about these cells...
Attachments
not_so_pro_files.zip
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
sonachan1

Post by sonachan1 »

Hi Peter, only just seen this as I’m away at the moment. Looks like you’re sorted though. What’s your total pack voltage by the way?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy. Yes, Brusa is up and running :-) Pack voltage is 230v, with a possible increase to 280v depending on performance.