ZombieVerter VCU Support

Reid0102

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by Reid0102 »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:47 am CANBUS off with DMM should be 60Ohm. 2x 120Ohm in parallel.
Thank you.

Inspected my inverter and found that to be damaged so going to look for a new leaf inverter to pair with this or maybe another option like a volt inverter and see if I can get the zombieverter to work with it.

Can the zombieverter program the offset if I get another stock leaf inverter?
Attachments
IMG_20220219_170739455.jpg
IMG_20220219_170753195.jpg
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

No it can't, there is other software that can do that though.

If you buy the exact same inverter you could also just swap the memory component. It's either an EEPROM or the complete MCU.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

GS450h inverter and trans

So, I got everything in the spot parameters looking correct, then turned on ignition. The transmission started to whine, almost like a bad bearing. After a few seconds, it stopped and amps went from about 2 down to .3. invudc was at 60, but now reads -2v all the time. The transmission never tried to turn.
Any thoughts?
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

86elcamino wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:11 pm GS450h inverter and trans

So, I got everything in the spot parameters looking correct, then turned on ignition. The transmission started to whine, almost like a bad bearing. After a few seconds, it stopped and amps went from about 2 down to .3. invudc was at 60, but now reads -2v all the time. The transmission never tried to turn.
Any thoughts?
I found I had 2 wires crossed on MG1. Everything shows normal on parameters now, but I still get no spin on the trans. potnom works, I have 60v showing on the inverter, it doesn't matter if its in forward or reverse.
What is gear 1, 2, and 3 in the spot values? I show gear 1 off, with 2 and 3 on.
I have watched the video several times, and didn't see anything that would apply to my situation.
Thanks
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Gear is a representation of the current position of the valves in the gearbox. That is explained in the videos:) Are you seeing the value of "torque" changing on the web interface in relation to throttle pedal application?
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Reid0102 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:25 am
EV_Builder wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:47 am CANBUS off with DMM should be 60Ohm. 2x 120Ohm in parallel.

Not presently but could be added in software.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Reid0102 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:25 am Can the zombieverter program the offset if I get another stock leaf inverter?
See: https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31056
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Reid0102

Post by Reid0102 »

EV_Builder wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:59 am
Reid0102 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:25 am Can the zombieverter program the offset if I get another stock leaf inverter?
See: https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31056
Thank you looking this over.
Reid0102

Post by Reid0102 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:41 am
Reid0102 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:25 am

Not presently but could be added in software.
How difficult would it be to enable that in the software? Another individual was saying that the open inverter can already do this? and looks like Darla has the CAN decoded could the code that Darla generated be integrated easily so that way we have an easy to use interface and would we have to install something like an Arduino in-between the the Zverter VCU and inverter to make that function work? I am still new to coding but willing to try and write the function in C.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:40 am Gear is a representation of the current position of the valves in the gearbox. That is explained in the videos:) Are you seeing the value of "torque" changing on the web interface in relation to throttle pedal application?
torque is 0, does not change

I understand that you're doing this all yourself and hoping to get other people to help. Having said that, having little to no written documentation (that I know of, maybe I'm missing this?) for this is frustrating for a visual learner like myself. I can watch a video over and over and not find what I'm looking for, or miss a detail that I might not know I need to know. The index to the video helps quite a bit, but it would be nice to have a written manual with an index. Instead of spending an hour and a half looking for answers, one could flip through a few pages in a few minutes.

Thank you for your help, I do appreciate your making this project even possible for someone like myself.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

There is quite a bit of information on the wiki page : https://openinverter.org/wiki/ZombieVerter_VCU
But yes of course a manual would be ideal. Sadly at the minute for me video is the only real option available due to time and resource constraints.

If torque is at 0 then something is telling the vcu to override your throttle inputs. I do a quite in depth description of this :
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:39 am There is quite a bit of information on the wiki page : https://openinverter.org/wiki/ZombieVerter_VCU
But yes of course a manual would be ideal. Sadly at the minute for me video is the only real option available due to time and resource constraints.

If torque is at 0 then something is telling the vcu to override your throttle inputs. I do a quite in depth description of this :
I've watched all the videos again. The only thing that I can see that is not right is the tmpm stays at 200 no matter what. Not sure if that would cause it not to work, as tempmmax is set to 300, but it seems to me that it's an obvious problem. Getting good continuity to the proper pins on the vcu. Swapping resolver connectors doesn't make any difference.

There are no error codes, and potnom works. It's in forward gear. udc and invudc are the same. udcmin is 20 and udc is 60.
I disconnected the resolver connector on mg2 to try a resistor to see if I got a different reading on tmpm, (I didn't), and the transmission started whining, and amps went up, pulled the other resolver and whining got louder.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

In the wiki, the chart for the inverter connector pins lists mg1 with names beginning with "g", and mg2 beginning with "m", while the chart right above that and the diagram of the resolver connector to the right show the opposite. So which is it, and which one is towards the front of the transmission?
paaa

Post by paaa »

I have same issue , with gs450h ,Pot 1 and Pot 2 calibrated , pot nom is acting as expected and no errors but torque remains zero have checked wiring but will look again at weekend then will walk through software to confirm.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

This does sound like a possible bug. Sadly my workshop is in transit to the new place so I won't be able to do any development or testing for a few months and must once again ask the community and those running the GS450h to assist.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

paaa wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:49 pm I have same issue , with gs450h ,Pot 1 and Pot 2 calibrated , pot nom is acting as expected and no errors but torque remains zero have checked wiring but will look again at weekend then will walk through software to confirm.
Is your tmpm staying at 200 also?
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:52 am This does sound like a possible bug. Sadly my workshop is in transit to the new place so I won't be able to do any development or testing for a few months and must once again ask the community and those running the GS450h to assist.
Is there anyone successfully running a GS450h with a Zombie?
paaa

Post by paaa »

Update from talking with streber about this he thinks the issue comes from how potnom range is -100 to +100 and the Lexus 450h code looks for the torque request from 0-3500 excluding regen. So sounds like a simple scaling issue. Have to look further into this.
et0

Post by et0 »

86elcamino wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:09 am
Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:52 am This does sound like a possible bug. Sadly my workshop is in transit to the new place so I won't be able to do any development or testing for a few months and must once again ask the community and those running the GS450h to assist.
Is there anyone successfully running a GS450h with a Zombie?
We've had it run - wheels off the ground. And I have posted a fair bit of the info related to GS450+zombie (connection details, setup hints) to the wiki page, and also a list and placement for the supplied loose components.

We encounter all the issues recently mentioned here: oil pump PWM not functioning (might be solved already?), some peculiarities with pre-charge, sticking on full throttle in reverse, false temperature reading. And some that were specific to our board, apparently a damaged STM32 chip (some IO pins not working). Also problems with the web interface and loading which may be PC / wifi / olimex module related.

That's led to nervousness about whether we have the skills and time to resolve these. Because of that and the unavailability of STM chips, we're considering switching to the older GS450H-only VCU design (the arduino based one). People appear to have that in use - I'm not sure of the status of that though, is it sensible to go there if the community is moving to this project? Versus sunk cost...

Thoughts?
et0

Post by et0 »

86elcamino wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:45 pm In the wiki, the chart for the inverter connector pins lists mg1 with names beginning with "g", and mg2 beginning with "m", while the chart right above that and the diagram of the resolver connector to the right show the opposite. So which is it, and which one is towards the front of the transmission?
I believe what's in the list is correct - MG2 plug goes to Mxxx connections, MG1 goes to Gxxx. So the note on the connector drawings is wrong, I will update that.

It took me some searching to figure out the basic connections as well, so I added this picture to the wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/images/3/34/Image.png
paaa

Post by paaa »

Update fiddled with the throttle mapping and its now spinning. Need to do some fine tuning so it works and is easily adaptable to include regen properly later one. The one you need to look at is is in src folder, gs450h.cpp. The code is originally this
:void GS450HClass::setTorqueTarget(int16_t torquePercent)
{
this->scaledTorqueTarget = utils::change(torquePercent, 0, 3040, 0, 3500);//map throttle for GS450HClass inverter
}
I just changed the first 0:3040 to 0:100 but car tries to spin motor once brake is released. So need to tweak throttle settings.
et0

Post by et0 »

streber wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 am
streber wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:11 am
et0 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:22 am Just a quick one - has anyone seen the OIL PUMP output working for the GS450 yet?
I get no PWM at pin 30 of the VCU or pin 40 of the STM32, when it's on and running. (Oil Pump is set to 50% in the menu)

Trying to narrow down if it's another bad STM chip problem or something else.

Thanks!
Did you figure this out?

I'm having the same issue. I think it is a software bug in hwinit.cpp: where it is using the wrong pin to setup the timer for the Oil PWM signal and putting it on the INV_POWER pin. I tried the obvious thing of fixing the pin in the code, but that didn't help.
Figured it out. It also needed to remap the TIM1 pins. I'll send a pull request to get it fixed on the main branch.
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu/pull/23
Hey well done!
I've applied your patch (the 2 lines) to the codebase I have working, but not having success yet (same behaviour).

Edit: after cloning your whole repository, it has worked.
So to confirm:
The PWM for oil pump now works
The output for the Inverter switch relay now works (that was my first problem with the buzzing relay, having to bypass it)

Thanks streber
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Any chance of a pull request with the mods for the main repo please? So when this gets lost in the forum newcomers don't have the same problem.
paaa

Post by paaa »

The pwm for oil pump already worked for me , the inverter power relay doenst though. In other news that throttle mod listed above seems to work. Just playing with ramp settings now that car is moving. Streber or et0 are you able to roll my change into your pull or will I do a seperate one?
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Just bought a Zombieverter for my Impreza project, but i can't find the link for the housing of the Zombieverter VCU. Probably I'm just too blind. Can someone help me out?