First EV Conversion

LeeM

First EV Conversion

Post by LeeM »

Hi All,

I am planning out my first EV conversion and wanting to use a Tesla drive unit.

Only use the car for hops to the shops and playing on the track, so 25 mile range would be more than enough.

Looking for balls out performance over anything else.

My car is Brabus Roadster ~730kg Mid engine, RWD, sequential paddle shift which I will use for F,N,R.

Small Tesla drive unit will fit nicely in there with the exhaust removed and plenty of room above for batteries. Thinking of using the Zero EV controller.

I also want to do the HUD OLED display which will most likely be Java app on a PI4 sitting down in the front boot with a tunnel up to the dash/windscreen. So I want to interface with the comms on the controller.

4markowen

Re: First EV Conversion

Post by 4markowen »

You could start a thread in the projects section. Love the Smart Roadster and many years away I might do a similar conversion.

Would batteries in the froot / frunk actually balance out the car more? One of the things I've read, although obv. you're an owner and can say more, is that the front end is a little light?

Also would the Tesla Motor being in the space of the exhaust place the weight of it outside of the axles? Although that would require reversing the motor like you see on the Boxster conversions.

That motor would also be asking a lot from the tyres, so obviously I'd love to see the video when you're done :)

I've also done some t'internet research on the roadster, or more actually some wishful thinking on it. And throught about the hyabusa rear subframes used on the 452 fourtwos, being identical mounts. You could then spec independent rear suspension, have more control over motor placement and also free up more space for batteries.