Charger Recommendation

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
bobbyj_408

Charger Recommendation

Post by bobbyj_408 »

Hi All,

I purchased a first gen chevy volt pack for use in a 450h conversion. I realize the pack has a small capacity, but I plan on getting a second pack to help with range.

My question is, what charger do you recommend? It's possible that I can get a hold of the charger from the Volt, but I wanted to get your recommendations. A friend who has converted a vehicle has recommended a Tesla gen 2 charger, but, again, I wanted your thoughts. There are a lot of chargers out there, so what could give me the best bang for buck (keeping budget in mind).

Thanks!
Bratitude

Re: Charger Recommendation

Post by Bratitude »

It’s really up to you. How fast do you want to charger it? How much space do you have available? Are you planing on implementing dc fast charging?

the volt chargers are small, compact units. Same with the outlander. but are 3-6kwh. Tesla gen 2 is 10kwh.
So it really depends on how you want to use your buidl
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
bobbyj_408

Post by bobbyj_408 »

Yeah good points.

How fast? Well yeah I suppose I'd say "as fast as I reasonable can". I am thinking of converting a truck, so there's potential for a lot of space to put the charger need be.

Fast charging? Hmmmm if love to, but what are the options for that? What charger could I use to implement that? FYI, I live in the U.S, so I assume I be using chademo, correct?

Also, for the Tesla charger, what else would I need to get it to work? Do I need to replace the logic board? It'd be great to utilize the on board OEM Volt BMS, could I interface that with the tesla charger (or any other charger).
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

I suggest reading threw the different sections of the forum. A very large Variety of charging setups people are using!

North America is chademo and ccs. Looks like ccs becoming defacto.

Tesla charger section threads, GitHub, and the wiki will tell you everything
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components