Polycarbonate battery box?

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
rstevens81

Polycarbonate battery box?

Post by rstevens81 »

This has been going round a while in my mind...
Can bonded polycarbonate be used for a battery box?

You can hit it with a hammer ... You'll probably hurt yourself when it bounces back, it's electrically an insulator and it's a flame inhibitor.

Inside the boot it would seem like a no brainer... Bolt chancel section to significant structure (boot floor/chassis rail), bolt battery modules to the Chanel section then use polycarbonate as I giant cover to make sure now way anything can get to the HV goodness.

Then it got me thinking could it be used in an engine bay? As long as the battery modules are bolted through some Chanel section again either between the chassis rails or some welded structure to the engine mounts, then the same could apply ... Except make it sealed (well removable top).

What is everyone else thinking good, bad or just ugly?
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
4markowen

Re: Polycarbonate battery box?

Post by 4markowen »

Well it's like any material choice really. What does it have to do, what material is suitable to achieve what you're after for what design trade offs and benefits.

I'd presume the biggest factor is regulatory. As in what does it have to survive to be allowed to put it in your car, so you need to find that out and can work back as to whether a plastic is suitable over a steel or aluminium welded box.

Main factor is that the cells being used are largely rectangular, and box section metals and sheets to create a further sufficiently large and strong enough box for them to build/use, are within peoples skill set and cost.

A choice of plastic will provide a more tailored form but at a greater cost/complexity. Even if you're just buying a plastic box although it might be flame retardant, what thermal properties does it have? A number of the cells being discussed require a means of getting rid of heat from them, and the electric insulation is also likely to come with a heat insulation property as well.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Polycarbonate battery box?

Post by johu »

I have used polycarbonate all over the car: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111
In the back the battery box is made from wood and covered by polycarbonate, in the front battery are mounted with aluminium profiles and also covered with pc.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9